Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 review

Started Mar 24, 2010 | User reviews
Ian M.B.
New MemberPosts: 7Gear list
Like?
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 review
Mar 24, 2010

I am a professional photographer and after many years of reading user reviews on
DP Review, this is the first time I have ever contributed, and would like to share my
experiences of using the Sony Alpha 700. I had one of the first A700s to arrive in
Australia and was using it for commercial, architectural jobs, events and weddings
before it was released and couldn't believe how good it was when using the Zeiss
lenses, particularly the skin tones. . they are amazing, better than my previous
DSLR which is one of the other 'main two' brands, and I have won photography
awards since on the A700.
Today I updated the firmware to Version 4 which I wasn't aware of until yesterday
and used it for a big event and have noticed better noise reduction at reasonably
high ISOs.

I also took an Alpha 900 to Argentina on a trip in 2008 just to try it out and was very
impressed, but found it a bit heavy to lug around all day, but will now get an A850
which is amazing value for a full 35mm size sensor.

Even though I have many top lenses from the previous brand of DSLR I was using,
I'm now expanding my Sony/Zeiss collection as I'm enjoying very lttle post
production time now when it comes to skin tones and Auto White Balance even
when using studio strobes.

I can't recommed the A700 highly enough and I've used a lot of cameras over the
years.

Problems:

The only problem I had experienced with the Sony setup is that the amazing Sony
HVL-F58AM flash (which is the only flash head where the whole module rotates so that
there are no shadows when shooting vertically) is that it overheats very quickly when
shooting fast moving events. I found the only cure is to attach the external 6 x AA
charger FA-EB1AM which completely eliminates the problem and of course gives very
fast recycle times.

Ian M.B.'s gear list:Ian M.B.'s gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Nikon D610
Ian M.B.'s score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads