Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR / Fujifilm FinePix S205EXR review

Started Apr 20, 2010 | User reviews
HansN46
Contributing MemberPosts: 619Gear list
Like?
Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR / Fujifilm FinePix S205EXR review
Apr 20, 2010

I owe one for about two months now.

Some people is putting s200exr in the league of cameras for photographers stepping up from point & shoot to dslr. Let me tell you this, if you want to step up to a dslr don't bother yourself by making this step in between. This camera acts like a dslr and comes close to the quality of a dslr. There's no need to make a step in between and certainly not the step with the s200exr. If you have trouble handling this camera you also will handling a dslr.
Besides, if you got one you don't need a dslr anymore.

It's much better to buy any camera because it fullfills your photographic needs. Being an amateur-photographer myself (for over more than 40 years) that has experienced all kinds of photographic states you can possibly get in as an amateur, that has possessed all the combinations of equipment you can imagine, I know what I'm talking about.

I suggest that you buy the s200exr because you want to make quality images of all kinds of subjects and themes without carrying around a vast bundle of photographic equipment.

If you do you won't be disappointed. This is the perfect alternative and the best superzoom around today.
Do not moan about the camera dropping the resolution to 6 MP when you choose te improve the Dynamic Range dramatically. With 6 MP you can print up to two feet wide. Wich amateur photographer does print at all today?

So, I can recommend this camera without any hesitation even with the Fuji HS10 coming around. IMHO it's this:
The HS10 is a p&s camera (1/2.3" sensor) upgraded with superzoom features.
The s200exr (1/1.6" sensor) is a superzoom camera upgraded with dslr-features.

Problems:

You have to consider if you can miss the tilting LCD. I can because of the very good EVF/LCD. I mostly use the EVF of the s200exr.
(Note: DSLR's often have lcd's you can hardly use for focussing because of the slow LiveView.)

The cover over the cable-connections is a little flimsy, I agree. But it causes no trouble.

There's also the lack of lenshood. Why not deliver it with the camera as with the predecessor the s100? And it's hard to get. But you can buy one on the internet for way less than the original one.

The movie mode is the regular VGA quality. Nothing to fuzz about unless you want to make editable movies for burning on DVD's. But shouldn't you better buy a videocam then?

HansN46's gear list:HansN46's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +7 more
HansN46's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads