Fujifilm FinePix S1800 / Fujifilm FinePix S1880 review

Started Apr 23, 2010 | User reviews
DoctorJerry
Regular MemberPosts: 413Gear list
Like?
Fujifilm FinePix S1800 / Fujifilm FinePix S1880 review
Apr 23, 2010

I have now had the camera for about 48 hours. Some of the features are truly unique. Taking a portrait picture without having to rotate the camera is nice, but you do loose actual pixels. The center is cropped just like any digital zoom but the rest of the zooming is optical, just like Canon's digital tele-convertor. The resulting image is good even though you are only using about 50% of the sensor. The resulting image is still full size since pixels are added just like any digital zooming.
I have not figured out the feature of taking 3 pictures at once, each at a different zoom range.

My initial impression of the noise is not quite as good as i had hoped but it is very good up to ISO 400 and some of the 800 shots are very acceptable. At this stage a very very good value for the money (about $200 at Costco). Since i teach digital photography to seniors at a local college cameras like this are very much in demand. The EVF seems good and it has a feature designed to overcome refresh problems associated with EVF. I have yet to test that feature. I have yet to test the flash but I suspect that it will be underpowered.

Problems:

This is a great camera but with some compromises that may not sit well with some users. Slow to focus at longer zoom ranges. The menu system is not great and is not intuitive. Focus too frequently grabs a focus point that you do not want. More out-of-focus pix then I am use to. This may be part of the learning curve.
Panorama mode is OK but better done in Photoshop rather than in the camera. Image stabilization wants to raise ISO along. I don't see more than 1 or 2 stops gain.

DoctorJerry's gear list:DoctorJerry's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Fujifilm FinePix SL1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS
DoctorJerry's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads