Canon PowerShot SD880 IS (Digital IXUS 870 IS) review

Started May 11, 2010 | User reviews
Geenine
Contributing MemberPosts: 982
Like?
Canon PowerShot SD880 IS (Digital IXUS 870 IS) review
May 11, 2010

I bought this camera mostly based on Ken Rockwells review http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/compacts/sd880.htm

I'm happy to say that I totally agree with what he says about the camera. I have taken thousands of shots with it and I am very pleased with it. The lens is wonderfully sharp and the wide angle is great. The shots are contrasty and vibrant. I have made many prints in A4 size that I deem just as good as any DSLR could do.

As a gearhead, I immedeatly downloaded CDHK to shoot raw when I bought it. After messing around with it for a while, I abbandoned it when I realized that the camera jpg's are every bit as good as what I got from the rawfiles. Also, the auto whitebalance of the camera NEVER misses, I only wish we will ever see anything this good in DSLR's. Now I just let the camera do it's thing, I use KR's method of easy access to exposure compensation, and expose on the bright side to avoid noice. Works great.

The camera is well buildt and very stylish, I have gotten quite a few complements on it As if that wasn't enough, people are just blown away when they see the large and wonderful LCD.

Being a compact with a tiny sensor, you WILL get noice in dark areas of a frame or when upping the ISO, but this goes for every compact ever made. Compared to the other compacts I have tried, this camera has the least noiceproblem of all compacts I have tried, except for the S90. It's considerably better than the G9 I had for a while.

I recently borrowed a S90 for a day as I have read many good things about it, also from Ken Rockwell My conclusion was that even though the S90 did perform better, the difference is not large enough to make the upgrade a worthwhile investment for me. Looks like I'll hang on to this camera until Canon comes up with a APS sensor compact.

Problems:

I wish they had placed the flash as far away from the lens as possible, and more flashpower would have been nice. I have to be aware to not block the flash with my fingers.

Geenine's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads