Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS6 review

Started Jun 22, 2010 | User reviews
rolleiman
Contributing MemberPosts: 665Gear list
Like?
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS6 review
Jun 22, 2010

While user opinions are often colored by what other camera they are used to, this
camera is typically Panasonic in image style and quality. Despite being at the lower
end of the range, the lens is excellent - sharp and clear with little distortion,
fringing or corner vignetting. Unlike many low end cameras the images are not
oversharpened with resulting annoying artifacts, and the three color settings -
Natural, Standard [Canon?], and Vivid are well done. AWB is slightly warm which is
better than cold.

The controls are more extensive than usual for a budget camera with the quick
menu offering fast adjustments and rapid exposure compensation. The Panasonic
adherence to a review switch rather than a button is my only complaint, but I'm
used to it and it does mean you can go directly to Review without the lens
activating. The 'panic' Intelligent Auto button beside the shutter is brilliant, as you
can instantly override any 'creative' settings you've got yourself mired in and return
to full auto to grab a sudden opportunity. Great for handing the camera off to
someone else.

As has been noted, the 8mp sensor is perhaps at a sweet spot between resolution
and dynamic range, as an FS7 I had seemed less competent overall. The LCD is
'only' 2.5" but has a matte surface without the usual protective plastic cover, which
makes it more vulnerable to scratches but being recessed it is safer to begin with. I
find it easier to view than some larger but shinier ones, although it must be viewed
straight on.

I find I can rely on this camera to give me results that are, while not as perfect as
my larger and fancier equipment, at least not out of place in the mix of what I do -
which is more than I can say for most similar offerings. It's a well sorted device with
no real weak spots or overlooked flaws.

Problems:

As with all sensors this size, noise and noise reduction mars the quality past 400 ISO.
This one shares the Panasonic trait of yellow blotching in incandescent light above
400 ISO but holds sharpness and saturation quite well. The battery door is typically
flimsy and cheap but works just fine.

rolleiman's gear list:rolleiman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1 Sony SLT-A33 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Sony SLT-A57
rolleiman's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads