Sigma DP1s review

Started Jun 28, 2010 | User reviews
Fotograafje
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Sigma DP1s review
Jun 28, 2010

When Sigma launced the DP1, I was already interested in it's pictures. But when I saw the price-tag, I decided not to buy this camera. About 800 Euro's was way above my financial capacity. Now the Dp2 is introduced, the DP1's price drops like a brick. For about 300 Euro's I bought this camera at an online store.
My advantage is that my former quality camera was about six years old (that's quit an age for a digital compact). So the speed was an improvement for me!
Although I considered to buy an DSLR, finaly the lens quality and Foveon sensor where crucial.
Well, there was lot of criticism on the Internet about the speed and ease of use of this camera. Of course most DSLR's are much faster and might be easier to use. But for me focussing, manual controls and picture-quality are the most important aspects in choosing the right camera.
Focussing on the DP1 works great, using a special focuswheel. The aperture and shutter-settings are very easy to adjust. With the new firmware (The DP1s) it's quite easy to change white balance and ISO.
The pictures it produces are high quality: realistic colours and sharp as a blade. Who are those so called photography-enthousiasts which criticise the lack of HD filming, bad menu's and slow writing of RAWfiles? Isn't image quality that should matter?
If you're looking for a camera with a prime lens and decent buildquality for a compact price, I can recommend this camera. If you want HD filming of sportsphotography: don't think about it.

Problems:

Not really a problem. But the lens hood (optional) should be turned clockwise quite firmly. When you hear a click, its mounted.

Fotograafje's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads