Fujifilm FinePix HS10 / Fujifilm FinePix HS11 review

Started Jul 4, 2010 | User reviews
whmitty
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
Fujifilm FinePix HS10 / Fujifilm FinePix HS11 review
Jul 4, 2010

Many have reported on the HS10 on this site so in the interest of minimizing redundancy will only report on the what I consider to be the outstanding high points and the glaring deficiencies of the camera.

I was looking for a high quality still photo camera with as much zoom as possible. After significant research I decided on the Fujifilm Finepix HS10 for it's broad array of settings useful to an amateur such as myself and the superb image quality for a bridge camera. I am very pleased with this camera as it does the job I require of it. I considered a DSLR but realized I was not a pro and that for the features I was looking for it would cost a good 3-4 times the price of the HS10. I'd then be required to lug and change lenses. My short list included the Sony HX1 and the Canon SX20. It was very difficult choosing between the Sony HX1 and the HS10. I just considered the HS10 photos a notch better overall. NOTE: I DO NOT recommend the HS10 to people equally interested in using it for still photos and for more serious videos. Get the Sony HX1.

Problems:

The video quality per se is excellent BUT as mentioned in Jerry Stevens' fine review of the HS10 on this site (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinion_text.asp?prodkey=fujifilm_hs10&opinion=45235) there is significant autofocus "chatter" in audio tracks particularly if one zooms alternately from ultra wide to full zoom. It sounds like a bunch of chipmunks during an espresso coffee klatch. The "focus chatter" is significantly minimized when performing minor zoom changes and generally where the focus circumstances are not continuously and drastically changing. Also, although I prefer the manual zoom for still shots, for videos it is extremely difficult if not impossible to get a smooth zoom effect with the HS10 even when using a tripod.

whmitty's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads