Sweet compact camera that delivers DSLR-quality images.

Started Apr 1, 2011 | User reviews
Lng0004
Senior MemberPosts: 2,602
Like?
Sweet compact camera that delivers DSLR-quality images.
Apr 1, 2011

Sony outdid themselves with the NEX line. Impressively small with a 14mp APS-C sensor, that means no compromise on image quality. Low-light performance is spectacular. I can shoot indoor at 1600 without worry. And for stationary objects, there are the image-stacking modes that will let you shoot at a much higher ISO without much noise (only JPEG though).

Both kit lenses are quite good (assuming you get good copies). But if you don't like them, you can always buy adapters to use your older MF lenses with the NEX. It's basically a haven for legacy lens collector.

The NEX-3 got me into photography, and I have Sony to thank for that I got a great deal for the camera and both kit lenses, but in hindsight, I probably would've paid full price if I had to.

Problems:

Missing standard hot-shoe mount (or at least a proprietary EVF and better flash). Only 3 E-mount lenses on the market as of now. Autofocusing is a little slow.

Not sure if I'd call this a problem. But I would've liked a mode dial for easier switching. Maybe in the next model.

Lng0004's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)