Good camera but could have been much better

Started Apr 26, 2011 | User reviews
symonh2000
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Good camera but could have been much better
Apr 26, 2011

I purchased one of these little numbers to replace a Panasonic TZ-6 which I considered very overrated, and is intended to compliment my DSLR. I was immediately impressed by the small size, and classy looks. I have owned Canon IXUS compacts before, so I found operating the camera very intuitive. I have found image quality to be good, noise control particularly is very good. In this respect the noise control is almost as good as my Nikon D5000, with images useable right upto 3200 ISO. However there appears to have been a price to pay for the good low light performance. The Back iluminated CMOS sensor gives worse quality images under good light conditions, with noticeable watercolour effects when viewed at full screen on the computer. The colours straight out of the camera also appear pretty flat. This is especially true of foliage and blue skies.
The camera also boasts I-Contrast mode which helps improve dynamic range. However I have found to get the best image quality in bright conditions you do need to set the exposure compensation to -1 stop. You can then activate I-contrast in the playback menu to bring out the dark areas.
I don't often use video on digital cameras, but I have tried it and it is very good. You can zoom whilst filming, but only digital zoom, and you need to have digital zoom activated in the menu before it can happen.
There is also the option of slow motoin video as well as loads of special effects that I will probably never use.

Overall I am going to give the camera 3.5 out of 5. It is greatv in low light, but in good light it isn't anything special.

Problems:

Image quality in good light not as good as a camera with a CCD sensor.
Indoor focussing often a bit hit and miss.

symonh2000's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads