Yea! SEA MOSS!!

Started May 11, 2011 | User reviews
Cogburn
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Yea! SEA MOSS!!
May 11, 2011

I was happy to see Canon start to come to their senses and decide to take a chance on quality rather than marketing side-show flim-flams. The camera this unit replaces had a higher pixel count (14 mp) and lower picture quality. I owned the SD1400is, and it was mostly a disappointment. Noisy and soft. This camera is better. In fact it's pretty darn good. Good detail and reasonable dynamic range. The zoom action has plenty of discrete positions so zoning-in on a precise focal length is possible. The shutter button is perfect. This is often over-looked but really important. It is after all the "trigger". You wouldn't expect an elite marksman to put up with a wonky trigger yet there are plenty of cameras out there with vague, mushy shutter buttons...Are you listening Nikon?!? cough, cough-D7000. The first stage is light and breaks to a predictable, repeatable second stage. When I went to buy the camera, I was initially a little disappointed that the camera was made in China, as the display model was made in Japan. Later that day I saw another store selling the same Powershot 300 HS, made in Japan. I bought one... with the notion to test and keep the better, return the loser. Guess which one came out on top? WRONG!! I imagine it's all just a matter of sample variation, but the Chinese-made camera was sharper across the entire frame, had noticeably lower chromatic aberration and the zoom mechanism was quieter and smoother. The Japanese-made camera had a nearer-to-daylight take on auto white balance under artificial light. The difference overall wasn't huge, and had I not compared I'd have been happy with either. Having that out of the way, I guess it just goes to show you can make a quality product anywhere. Most importantly, this is a good shooter...and it's TINY! No excuse for not having it with you everywhere! The best camera in the world is useless if you leave it sitting on the coffee table.

Problems:

Seriously, how much more would it cost to build-in some manual exposure controls. They don't have to be governed by dials even... bury them in the sub-menu's but it would have been nice to have some manual overrides for shutter speed and aperture. Four-way controller is small and easy to miss-cue.

Cogburn's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
great
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)