Great Camera...

Started Jun 30, 2011 | User reviews
Jack Alderman
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Great Camera...
Jun 30, 2011

I bought this camera about three months ago to replace my dead Panasonic DMC-FZ7, which I had enjoyed a lot for three years. The Nikon P500 is slightly larger and heavier, but it is far superior in all respects. I especially like the 36X zoom, which works much better than I expected, even without tripod, thanks to an excellent stabilization system. I'm also pleasantly surprised by the coverage of the flash indoors, and by good low light results without the flash.

Photo quality is really nice so far, and I'm editing a lot less (using Aperture) than with the Panasonic. The software is user friendly and straightforward. The pivoting screen is cool, but I don't find myself using it much, because the electronic viewfinder is so good. I don't use the video extensively, but the HD quality is very stable and sharp. Battery life is plenty for my usage.

I saw the one negative review posted for this camera, which complained about features the camera doesn't have - aren't you are supposed to know the camera's features when you buy it? For my money - under $400 - this is a great camera!

Problems:

The lens cap must be removed before turning the camera on, even if you aren't taking photos - that's a little awkward.

The battery can only be charged while in the camera - however, you can solve that by buying a Nikon wall charger and an extra battery.

Jack Alderman's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)