Lot of Imaging power in a very small package.

Started Jul 28, 2011 | User reviews
Photato
Senior MemberPosts: 1,810Gear list
Like?
Lot of Imaging power in a very small package.
Jul 28, 2011

This one is based on the 1/2.3" BSI sensor that works great in low light.
Lens is quite good except at both wide & tele. The 24mm wide is VERY useful though.
Hidef, 1080P video is very good, it can optically zoom while recording, the video has no compression artifacts and audio is in stereo. The image stabilization works also very well.
The 640x480 video at 120fps is awesome to have, finally a decent resolution for this slow mo effect.
This cameras is mostly automatic but there are some manual features like Autofocus lock, Custom WB, Custom color image parameters.
Has a dedicated Movie Record button which is handy so you can go from photo to video really fast.
Face detection features for self portrait, autoexposure, focus, etc are quite useful.
LCD is visible in bright daylight and at many angles, this helps a lot to frame better.

Overall I'm satisfied with this camera as a carry every where, all the time with you P&S.

Problems:

My biggest disappointment is that it doesn't have exposure lock nor exposure compensation in Movie mode.
Buttons are on the small side and flush flat with the camera body so is hard to find them by tact.
Battery life is okay. I wish it has a higher capacity battery, I'd have been okay with the increase of size and weight. That's better than carry an extra battery
Miniature movie mode won't allow you to make the whole frame sharp so it could be used as a more usefultime lapse movie feature.
The Digital Zoom is the biggest joke, I was like "are you kidding me!? it should work with a cropped section of the sensor in video mode, but it doesn't. It is just interpolation junk like many other Digital Zooms. JUNK!
AF is not always right on, but decent.
Menus take longer to setup than previous generations of Canon cameras.

Photato's gear list:Photato's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon EOS M Apple iPad Mini +1 more
Photato's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads