Excellent Sony HX100

Started Jul 31, 2011 | User reviews
bertrandou
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
Excellent Sony HX100
Jul 31, 2011

I needed a pocket camera to replace the good Panasonic Lumix TZ7 when I can't travel with my bag and the Canon EOS 5D Mark II and its lenses which are very heavy. So I bought a Sony DSC-HX5V which is too slow and only good for video HD.

dpreview and some other forums showed me that it was actually quite difficult to get a good pocket camera.
So even if what we call "bridge" in France is not pocket camera, I tested some bridges, first the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 which was interesting with its RAW mode. When the Sony DSC-HX100 arrived, it seemed a little bit different from others.

What people told about it was encouraging and I bought it some days ago.

I tested it beside the Canon EOS 5D Mark II and lense EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM. This seems a little crazy to compare two so different cameras.

But I was very surprised because when zooming with the Sony HX100, you get better defined pictures than with the Canon 5D Mark II and the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS !!! Obviously, at the extreme end of the zoom with Photoshop CS5, details photos taken with the Canon are thinner than with the Sony, but at a medium range of the zoom with Photoshop, the picture looks better.

That's why this year I will travel lighter than before, when I walk down the streets of Florence, Italy.
In short, the Sony HX100 is quite fast and offers a wide variety of opportunities to make high quality photos while traveling. Two reserves: the lack of RAW mode and the viewfinder is too small.

Some other words in french.

Format bridge, l'appareil prend un peu plus de place qu'un compact, mais beaucoup moins qu'un reflex. Il est supérieur à tous les compacts que j'ai testés pour la qualité des photos, l'ergonomie, la facilité de prise en main, la vidéo HD pleine définition, le mode rafale, le zoom.

Il est limité sur quelques points : viseur trop petit par rapport à un reflex, mais toujours utile en plein soleil lorsqu'on ne peut cadrer en utilisant l'écran ; écran orientable mais seulement dans le sens vertical; absence de mode RAW.

Comparé aux derniers compacts et bridges Lumix et aux compacts Sony, mais aussi au Canon EOS 5D Mark II - comparaison osée ! - il est exceptionnel. Pour les photos zoomées (au moins X8), muni du zoom Canon EF 70/200 f2.8L IS USM et du doubleur de focale, l'EOS 5D Mark II est moins convaincant que le Sony DSC-HX 100V !!! C'est dire la qualité du zoom du bridge Sony..

Problems:

Some pictures seem overexposed when viewed on the screen of the camera. In fact, on the PC screen, they are good.

bertrandou's gear list:bertrandou's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
bertrandou's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads