E-420 Review

Started Oct 7, 2011 | User reviews
Sashat
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
E-420 Review
Oct 7, 2011

This was my first DSLR so this review should be taken with a grain of salt, but nonetheless I have done my research and I know what I am talking about.

The camera is amazingly small and portable, and even with the lens is quite light. The 14-42mm kit lens is very good, and the 40-150mm telephoto is equally high-performance. At wide angle there are very slight aberrations in the corners, but still better than the competition.

The settings are very numerous and very well laid out, with the Super Control Panel letting you access all the important settings very quickly. The automatic noise reduction is very slight, and almost unnoticeable unless you are doing large prints or posters; it can be turned off, of course.

The ergonomics seem to be a controversial topic, with some people saying that the camera is awkward to hold. I have fairly large hands and have not encountered any problems with the grip, which is ingeniously minimalistic.

Overall, it's a great entry-level camera which is simple enough for novices to learn, but packs enough features to keep every user occupied and producing great images.

Problems:

There camera is slightly slow in lower light, and at slower exposures the lack of stabilization becomes clear. The AF-assist beam is (in my opinion) unpleasant, producing a very bright strobe light. This can be deactivated and when shooting in places with people around I usually have this off. There is also a slight lack of variety of four-thirds system lenses in general, although for the current selection suits me just fine at the moment.

Overall, these issus are very small and the pros far outweigh the cons on this camera.

These

Sashat's gear list:Sashat's gear list
Olympus E-420
Sashat's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
okay
Action / sports
acceptable
Landscapes / scenery
excellent