Urgent Firmware Update needed

Started Nov 8, 2011 | User reviews
IceKold
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Urgent Firmware Update needed
Nov 8, 2011

Only giving the SX40 HS 4.5 stars because Canon is deliberately leaving features out. But I will start with the Urgent Fixes.

#1. Get rid of the Childproof Governor that the SX30 IS does not have Cant set the SX40 HS to 400 ISO and set the Shutter speed to 15 Seconds. Must be fixed.

#2. Shutter Lag, Depress shutter button half way focus lock press for Shot there is a deal breaker of a shutter lag.

#3. View Finder, Non-useable like looking a a bad 1960's Tube Color TV through a toilet paper tube. Not acceptable for a camera made in 2011 through 2012 to be a product flagship.

#4. Please post what the Cameras Red/ Write Data Speeds are does not help having 300x SD cards if the Camera can only write data at 20/MB per second.

#5. 10.3 Frames per second limited to only 8 WTF? CHDK please Remove this Limit I look forward to 10.3 Frames per second Unrestricted. Or at least a Firmware fix from Canon to get the full 10.3

Now that I have a week or so into the SX 40. And reading I think every opinion and review online and my own personal experiences. I can say without hesitation the SX 40 is the best bridge camera hybrid ultra zoom available in 2011 even into 2012. I can not wait for the official dpreview. In side by sides it will destroy the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V and FZ150 and other competitors. Don't let my negatives turn you off, the others especially the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V have far worse problems and you will regret buying anything but the SX 40 you have been warned. Digic 5 will be a great chip. I was looking to purchase a G12 for a while. Now for $400 not $500 I have better than a G12. The build quality Made in Japan feel of the SX 40 is fantastic. Craigslist and eBay are flooded with SX 30 people getting rid of them in hopes of getting a SX40 HS.Good luck they will likely be sold out in many places. Its hard to take a bad picture with the SX40.

Problems:

- needs to not pause so often to do stuff no where near as bad as the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V
- please fix the shutter lag and Manual Governor so we can take pictures of stars and better night scenes.

IceKold's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
weak
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
weak
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads