A BIG step up from my K-10D

Started Nov 27, 2011 | User reviews
hikenhi
Regular MemberPosts: 498Gear list
Like?
A BIG step up from my K-10D
Nov 27, 2011

I was glad on one hand that I'd passed on the K-20D for the K-7, but on the other hand hugely disappointed when the K-5 rolled out 5 months after I got my K-7. Most impressive about the K-7 and the K-5 as well, is the very nice & compact magnesium body, that Pentax put forth a very good design in its feel and ergonomics. The camera has an incredible feel in your hands. The thing that I like most about this body style is that it offers so much in such a compact design and it doesn't take away from being able to use the camera efficiently. I love the much sharper 930,000 3" LCD. This is probably the 2nd most important and noticeable thing about the camera over the older body styles of my K-10D and K-20D. Let's face it, "You've got to be able to look in your instant viewfinder and get a good idea that what you just shot was in-fact, in-focus." Another huge thing that was very important for me was the sub-zero 14 degree low operating temperature range that these new body styles brought fourth starting with the K-7. This is very important seeing as I often find myself active in sub-zero conditions, but not often in conditions below 10 degrees—too cold for the gear that I have, and it doesn’t happen often where I go during the daytime. I like the automatic orientation when your reviewing you pictures—very nice for portrait shots. I don’t understand why the K-5 isn’t capable of this? Is it a Hardware Capability issue because of the additon of the vertical axis level detection?

Problems:

Most of what I don’t like with this camera and was the main reason that I wasted no time upgrading to the K-5, it the camera’s IQ marks. The camera is slightly better than the K-10D in ISO performance, but not by much—it’s still pretty lousy and a sub-class performer in this category for its time. Another thing that this camera is lacking that’s important for me is super-high dynamic range—another problem that the K-5 also resolved beyond most people’s expectations. I really wasn’t to fond of the cameras inability to focus in low light either. The video quality is ok. Shooting near 1080i but in the 2:3 aspect ratio is an interesting option, but I just wish it also had the Full HD in 16:9 like the K-5. One last thing that I don’t like about the camera is the 3 rows of kernels as opposed to 4 on the K-5 with the shooting function knob. It’s sometimes hard to turn the knob (-)minus the extra row of kernels that make the shooting function knob taller and easier to turn on the K-5 as opposed to the K-7.

hikenhi's gear list:hikenhi's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +5 more
hikenhi's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
okay
Action / sports
okay
Landscapes / scenery
okay
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
okay
Flash photography (social)
good
Studio / still life
good
= community average
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads