Nikon Coolpix AW100 experiences Nov 2011

Started Dec 8, 2011 | User reviews
Charlie Flynn4049
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Nikon Coolpix AW100 experiences Nov 2011
Dec 8, 2011

AW100 does everyting I bought it to do. Find 288 test photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/charlieflynn
After you open the box print the users manual immediately. If you can't, Staples or Kinkos can for around $27.00US. The Sweetheart Auto mode is designed for beginners. The Auto mode is where more advanced users want to shoot. Scene modes can be very handy if you understand the limitations and things you can not control. Blury pictures on Flickr are from trying to handhold at very slow shutter speeds. Explore ISO settings and realize consequences. I did a lot of deliberately stupid pictures to find out wht the AW100 would do. I shot the vineyard sunrise at 23 degrees (F). I also shot a Canon S90 at the same time alternating shots with AW100 and S90. Nikon does not produce Sun Stars. Scene modes for dusk-dawn produced dramatic sunrises and sunsets. Steep learning curve with AW100 and page flipping required to figure out all it does. I had to go the the Nikon site and update the GPS file, put it in a folder on the SD chip and follow instructions to get the AW100 to update firmware in the camera, then all was well. Maps won't display unless GPS has lock-on. Panoramas are fun. Still experimentiung with them. So far all hand held. I will put it on a tripod and turn off VR and try some moere. Picture of Delta Dam near Rome, NY was straightened in Capture NX2 and printed on Canon Photo Pro paper at 13x19". I am very impressed. IF it had cell phone capability I could leave the S90, Canon D-10 and my BlackBerry home. I did not post pictures of kids, pets, or people who were shot with AW100. You'll have to take my word for the quality. Bright light , outdoors, try -0.3 exposures. 16MP fun, GeoTagged and mapp following in Nikon View NX is a blast. Load it from the included CD Rom. Close-up capability is outstanding. Enjoy!

Problems:

Keeping the AW100 in level for panning hand held is difficult. I may fix a string bubble level to the Tripod screw and try some more. You must read the users manual and flip from one end to the other to learn all that is possible with the AW100. Camera should not be sold without a manual. 'Getting Started' falls short. Lack of a manual does the Nikon designers and engineers a disservice. Others have complained about lack of controls. It is all there. Read the manual and get in the Auto Mode. Then use the MENUs.

Charlie Flynn4049's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Canon PowerShot S90 Nikon Coolpix AW100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads