Great Landscape lens at f/8 and be there.

Started Dec 20, 2011 | User reviews
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,429Gear list
Like?
Great Landscape lens at f/8 and be there.
Dec 20, 2011

I purchased my 35 f/2 a number of years ago when I'd just moved to digital and to mount on my D80 as a normal lens. It was a great walkaround lens for a number of years even after upgrading to my D300. I often carried as well as my 85 f/1.4 AFD around towns on vacation. I used it as a true tourist lens.

Later I upgraded to my D700 and much more expensive pro-grade glass, covering 35mm several ways. Moreover, I found myself preferring 24mm more often. In reading the reviews, you notice the 35 f/2 is not the best rated lens in the world. Mine started to collect dust.

Then one day, I was going over some images from the Grand Tetons and noticed some of the prettiest shots were made with that 35 f/2 shot at f/8 or f/11. Digging deeper and further back, some of my best keepers over several years was that lens at f/8 or f/11. Going back to the reviews to see what was going on, I realized that at f/8 this little often maligned lens actually beats glass like Nikon's famous 24-70 f/2.8 at f/8 or f/11. In fact, it almost ties with the much more expensive Nikon 35 f/1.4 or Zeiss 35 f/2 when they are at f/8. For me, this was an amazing revelation.

That little light weight Nikon 35 f/2 is off the shelf, shined up and back in the general kit bag along with it's dedicated B+W polarizing filter and metal screw on hood. This lens is a true sleeper for FX landscape. Give it a try at f/8 and be there. You also might be amazed.

Problems:

The 35 f/2 is not pro-grade build quality. This lens is also AFD so won't focus on the entry level models. Other than this, there have been no problems when used within it's limitations.

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +23 more
Guidenet's score
Average community score
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads