The best lens I have ever owned.

Started Jan 11, 2012 | User reviews
Waynes World
Regular MemberPosts: 370Gear list
Like?
The best lens I have ever owned.
Jan 11, 2012

Here Is my Review from my website.

BUILD QUALITY/ HANDLING: The 50-135 has a real strength in terms of build quality. The very broad and precise focus and zoom rings are well dampened and rotate smoothly. The lens weighs 690g, so it's well balanced on the heavier K-7, K10D, K20D, and K200D. This lens is professional grade so build quality like this is expected. The weather sealing held up very well in the rainy weather (lens still works fine a week later). The lens hood is unusually large for this lens but that means flare is low and it protects the front lens element from dust and dirt. The lens has a handy snap out piece so you can stick your finger into the hood and rotate a polarizing filter. The hood interior has a high quality matte finish. Now the part you have been waiting for, SDM. The focus was generally very accurate, focusing well with very little hunting. The Focus speed was average, not much faster than a screw driven lens. The SDM Focus motor was very quiet and fast enough for me so, I prefer it to the screw driven system.

Final verdict on build quality/handling: 9.5 out of 10.

IMAGE QUALITY: The 50-135 produces excellent images the are sharp, snappy, and contrasty.

Sharpness: The 50-135 maxes out at 2300 LW/PH at 50mm f/5.6. Generally it is pretty uniform across the range from apertures from f/2.8 to f/14 at all focal lengths. Vignetting, distortions, and chromatic aberrations are on an average level for this type of lens, so they are pretty good.
Bokeh: Bokeh is generally on an excellent level except when you focus at the lens's closest focus distance. This photo is an example of what happens at the closes focus distance and f/2.8.

Verdict on image quality: 9 out of 10.

Conclusion

Pros

Build quality is top notch
Nice bokeh (except at close focus)
Image quality, No significant optical flaws
Constant bright aperture
SDM focusing is very quiet (but see cons)
Weather Sealing
Good lens hood, With snap out piece for using rotating a Polarizing filter with the hood on
Good coatings on the front element, make the lens easy to clean and resistant to dust (from my experience)
Decent price (around $800 US)
Really good, broad, focus+zoom rings.
Included Case
Well balanced on Pentax Cameras with weather sealing like the K10D, K20D, K200D, and K-7.
Great portrait results
Compact design
Handy "Quick Shift" lets you override the focusing at any time without having to flip a switch

Cons

Disappointing close up for a modern lens (it's not a dedicated macro lens anyways)
SDM only a micro motor, not a Full Ring type focus motor.
SDM won't work with older Pentax/Samsung D-SLR bodies Pre- K10D (screw drive motor is used instead)
Front heavy on Small Pentax Cameras like The K-m and K-x. (I tried it on the K-m)
No tripod collar (Tokina Variant has one)

Final Mark. - I highly Recommend this lens! - It's a great buy.

Problems:

Quite Heavy, for some, However it does not bother me.

Waynes World's gear list:Waynes World's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM +1 more
Waynes World's score
Average community score
Pentax K10D Pentax K200D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-m (K2000) Pentax K-x
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads