A lightweight in more than one regard.

Started Jan 30, 2012 | User reviews
nearprairie
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
A lightweight in more than one regard.
Jan 30, 2012

I returned the FZ47K after a week of use. Following is a list of the positive and negative aspects I experienced.

Positive:
1. Minimal shutter lag.
2. PASM shooting modes.
3. Burst mode.
4. Wide angle and long zoom lens.
5. Lens accepts affordable 52mm filters.
6. Shoots HD video.
7. Decent battery life for still shooting.
8. Good color reproduction.

Negative:
1. Camera locks while writing to card.
2. No physical, hands-on, manual control of lens (for focus and zoom).
3. Tulip shade rarely protected lens from flare.
4. Slow zoom extension (takes a long time to get from 25mm to 600mm).
5. Constant focus problems when shooting on water, distant objects, or through glass.
6. Only expensive proprietary Panasonic batteries allowed.
7. Electronic viewfinder is blocky and pixelated; colors inaccurate; diopter adjustment wheel spins too easily.
8. When last bar of battery life is displayed power drains within moments.
9. Video mic captures all audio -- hands on camera, breathing, strap movement, etc.
10. Trademark Panasonic noise easily visible in any image shot above ISO200.

Both positive and negative:
1. A very light camera. / So light my DSLR shoulder strap wouldn't find purchase on my shoulder.
2. Lens cap fits tightly. / Fiddly with tulip flare shield attached; hard to adjust circular polarizer or any filters.
3. A lot of control features in the menu. / Some features require too many page selections to find.
4. Electronic lens stabilization. / Not so reliable at the longer end of the zoom (at full zoom the lens is slow to focus moving objects).

For an easy to tote, all-in-one vacation popper it was a decent camera, but not a suitable replacement for my comparatively heavy, seldom used DSLR. I wanted to like this camera but didn't like the compromises it came with. Yes, it's small and light -- maybe too light -- and, yes, it has great lens range and, yes, the minimal shutter lag is enticing, especially when shooting sea critters like whales and, yes, the burst mode does a fair job of grabbing action. However, there's plenty of noise on images shot above ISO200; in anything but the brightest light autofocus was dodgey; the tulip flare attachment made using an adjustable filter a bit of a pill; the electronic viewfinder looked blocky and heavily pixelated; and to get from 25mm to 600mm took a while. And that frozen image lock-up thing while writing to the card caused too many anxious moments. In the end I chose to return the FZ47 and am gonna continue to carry that weight.

nearprairie's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
unrated
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
weak
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
mediocre
= community average
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 (Lumix DMC-FZ48)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads