Fujifilm X-S1

Started Mar 6, 2012 | User reviews
Jerome Kwok
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
Fujifilm X-S1
Mar 6, 2012

X-S1 is a great camera to have if you want a camera close to low end DSLR, and don't want to change lens to capture moments. The form factor is similar to older S100 / S200, but much better in build quality. The image quality is much better than my old good S8100 in terms of noise and sensitive. It is very fast to start up or focus. Easy to use, customizable hot key and gives you full manual control.

The built in flash is very weak. I put on the EF-42 external flash and it is a must have to shoot indoors.

A lightweight 26x zoom together with a large sensor (compared to other bridge cameras, not so much vs DSLR). Personally I would prefer having a larger sensor rather than a very long zoom range. 26x is overkill as image stabilization often could not catch up.

It performs well at night time, except that it is having the infamous white orbs issue similar to X10. It is very annoying shooting in a shopping mall. The lighting's are pretty much white orbs in the pictures. It would be a big no for many potential buyers.

EXR mode will do a very good job if you want to do some quick snaps. In order to enable most of the EXR modes, you need to drop the resolution from 12M to 6M, which is kind of low in year 2012.

Last but not least, X-S1 uses Li-ion battery. No more cell batteries thank god.

In short, X-S1 is a very good choice if you want a bridge camera which looks like and performs similar to low end DSLR. Highly recommended to get external flash as well.

Problems:

white orbs issues similar to X10

Jerome Kwok's gear list:Jerome Kwok's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Z2 Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix S5100 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix S8100fd Fujifilm X-M1 +5 more
Jerome Kwok's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
weak
Flash photography (social)
acceptable
Studio / still life
great
= community average
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix S8100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-S2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads