Mediocre

Started Mar 24, 2012 | User reviews
Ibida Bab
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Mediocre
Mar 24, 2012

I am reviewing the HS25EXR which I bought on Amazon yesterday and after two days of shooting I mailed it back. This camera is pretty much same as the HS30EXR with the difference of the 25 taking AAs. That was my main deciding factor and the 24mm wide angle and the fact, that I had a Fuji camera before that produced outstanding outdoor photos.
This camera on EXR setting had worst image quality then my first digital camera, a Nikon Coolpix 3100. I shot about 50 shots at a location where I took similar photos with a another older camera, a Canon PowerShot A710IS.
This Fuji is just a miserable fail, in my opinion. The camera felt cheap, in fact, that was the first thing my wife said to me. The tripod mount is plastic, and the battery compartment had a mysterious movement and felt quiet unsecured. It is a Made in China camera and it feels like that. Cheap. I have about 10 other cameras that are Made in Japan quality and when you hold a Japanese made camera you'll know it. Some will argue that most things are made in China these days, however, when it comes to cameras and you take your gear seriously, stay away from these. Some other things I noticed: when turning the camera vertical the LCD goes dark. On regular Auto setting the camera takes even worst images than on EXR. I think the electronic viewfinder is useless, the user menu is quiet bad. I really wanted to like this camera, because I never had a mega zoom bridge camera, however, this Fuji is just a major disappointment for me.

Problems:

Overall built and image quality.

Ibida Bab's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
bad
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
bad
Portraits
bad
Low light (without flash)
bad
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rick Siegert
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Re: Mediocre
In reply to Ibida Bab, Aug 4, 2013

The HS25 was not the same camera as the HS30. The body was different, etc. Comments fror that camera do not apply to the HS30.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ibida Bab, Aug 5, 2013

Prolly just another whiner who most likely don't know how to use a camera properly and expecting miracles from a pinhead sensor. I'll let the HS25 users defend their baby. HS30 is a better camera because of RAW and better EVF and battery and should not be represented with this camera.

And worse than Coolpix 3100 and PowerShot A710IS? Show us comparison please....

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

I agree with some things you wrote, and disagree with others, but this sounds quite wrong:

Some other things I noticed: when turning the camera vertical the LCD goes dark.

I had an HS25 for roughly a year; when it developed a problem, I sent it back to Fuji, who repaired it; when it went bad again, I sent it back again, and they replaced it. Of all the problems I had, I never saw the LCD go black when turning it sideways, unless I was wearing polarized lenses. I think there are three possibilities overall:

• You were wearing polarized sunglasses.
  • You had a defective camera.
  • Something (such as your finger) passed too near the sensor that detects whether you have your eye to the EVF.

The last may well have been the problem; that sensor is a bit too sensitive.

On regular Auto setting the camera takes even worst images than on EXR.

I agree here. Fuji really botched these; almost all the poor reviews I've seen complain about the bad quality of the EXR and Auto settings.

I think the electronic viewfinder is useless...

No, I use it routinely. It may not be top-quality, but considering the price of the camera...

...the user menu is quiet bad.

Different strokes, I guess; I really enjoy the user menu, especially in comparison to some other cameras I've used. Can you say, specifically, what you dislike about it?

cantanima's gear list:cantanima's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix 2600 Zoom Fujifilm X10
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Rick Siegert, Aug 5, 2013

Rick Siegert wrote:

The HS25 was not the same camera as the HS30. The body was different, etc. Comments fror that camera do not apply to the HS30.

Are you sure? I remember seeing a large number of references to the HS25 & the HS30 being exactly the same, except for two differences: the HS used AA batteries, and lacked RAW. I preferred the former, and was indifferent to the latter, which is why I chose the HS25.

cantanima's gear list:cantanima's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix 2600 Zoom Fujifilm X10
AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,835Gear list
Like?
And there lies the Problem

This guy isn`t a "Whiner" - Most people actually buy these kind of cameras to use in Auto modes, the target market for them isn`t your average Enthusiast DPR member - lets face it, these pinhead megazooms are aimed at tourists and "Soccer Moms" so ought to work out of the box in Auto mode like Canons, Panasonics and Sonys do ......

Fuji thesedays are notorious for their inability for designing a camera which works on standard settings let alone in AUTO modes - for some ludicrous reason, they pick the worst settings possible .. the older SCCD powered F & S series used to work very well on defaults  (the models from the F10 to F31 and S9500  to S100FS - earlier cams like the F601, E900, S5000 etc were as patchy as the HS series)

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Steve40
Regular MemberPosts: 426
Like?
Re: And there lies the Problem
In reply to AdamT, Aug 5, 2013

I agree with the previous poster. These cameras are not meant!, for the serious enthusiast. They are do it all tourist cameras, like the Jack of all trades; they do nothing outstanding. One way to tell is the plastic tripod socket, this saves Fuji a penny or two, and a metal socket is not needed by someone! who does not even know what a tripod is for.

However in the hands of someone who is half competent, they can produce some fairly nice photos. And are tricked out, to do some things your better camera cannot do. So they do have their uses. When I first got my HS35, i really hated it. I expected it to be like the Fuji's I owned from years back, but it is not. It’s unique in its own rite, and very useful under the conditions it is meant for. If you buy one of these; just don’t expect it to do what it looks!, like it can do.

-- hide signature --

Steve40.
http://steveslandscapes.50webs.com
Cameras: Canon's G12, and A1200. Sony DSC-H90. Fuji HS35EXR.

AdamT
Like?
Fuji need to sort this out
In reply to Steve40, Aug 5, 2013

Fuji need to sort this out - having a Tourist megazoom which is pretty useless in any of the Auto modes is like buying a car with an Auto gearbox which changes up and down at all the wrong times making you use it in semi-Auto mode (selecting yourself) .... the Fuji EXRs are the same, they`re capable of good stuff if set to esoteric settings and run like a DSLR in AV or whatever "creative" mode and post processed afterwards ..

I tried the HS30 in EXR DR mode out of curiosity and it didn`t even maximise the Dynamic range well despite choosing ISO400 and DR1600 , there were still blowouts -- I did better running the cam in 16Mp ISO100 DR100 mode, exposing for the highlights and PP`ing down to 8Mp and lifting the shadows in Photoshop . they need to work on improving the Auto modes and have done since EXR was invented .. But then you know Fuji and repeating silly mistakes, they`re the absolute worst for it ..

-- hide signature --

Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Steve40
Like?
Re: Fuji need to sort this out

AdamT wrote:

Fuji need to sort this out - having a Tourist megazoom which is pretty useless in any of the Auto modes is like buying a car with an Auto gearbox which changes up and down at all the wrong times making you use it in semi-Auto mode (selecting yourself) .... the Fuji EXRs are the same, they`re capable of good stuff if set to esoteric settings and run like a DSLR in AV or whatever "creative" mode and post processed afterwards ..

I tried the HS30 in EXR DR mode out of curiosity and it didn`t even maximise the Dynamic range well despite choosing ISO400 and DR1600 , there were still blowouts -- I did better running the cam in 16Mp ISO100 DR100 mode, exposing for the highlights and PP`ing down to 8Mp and lifting the shadows in Photoshop . they need to work on improving the Auto modes and have done since EXR was invented .. But then you know Fuji and repeating silly mistakes, they`re the absolute worst for it ..

-- hide signature --

Since I never, or hardly ever use any camera in the auto modes, this doesn't present too much of a problem to me. I do find this camera lacking in dynamic range, even using the DR functions. I have a little $75 cannon that can beat it. It is definitely not the best choice for landscapes, unless a lot of editing is not a problem.

I find it probably better for up close, and personal types of subjects, where the light is pretty even. This said reveals that the camera has plenty of weakinesses. I swore off panasonic because of its quirks, Ha Ha I got the shaft, Fuji now holds the title of "King of Quirks".

But man i do ever love that truck battery, it runs forever. It will do the 600 shots Fuji claims if not more. Got to say something positive.

-- hide signature --

Steve40.

DS21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,691Gear list
Like?

Fuji need to sort this out - having a Tourist megazoom which is pretty useless in any of the Auto modes is like buying a car with an Auto gearbox which changes up and down at all the wrong times making you use it in semi-Auto mode (selecting yourself) .... the Fuji EXRs are the same, they`re capable of good stuff if set to esoteric settings and run like a DSLR in AV or whatever "creative" mode and post processed afterwards ..

I tried the HS30 in EXR DR mode out of curiosity and it didn`t even maximise the Dynamic range well despite choosing ISO400 and DR1600 , there were still blowouts -- I did better running the cam in 16Mp ISO100 DR100 mode, exposing for the highlights and PP`ing down to 8Mp and lifting the shadows in Photoshop . they need to work on improving the Auto modes and have done since EXR was invented .. But then you know Fuji and repeating silly mistakes, they`re the absolute worst for it ..

-- hide signature --

First EXR cameras (F200, S200) were doing fine in Auto and EXR modes, the metering was conservative and set to protect highlights anyway. The overexposing trend started (mildly) with F70, and continued downhill with CMOS sensored F and HS models. As some would say "learn your meter", but that does not help mom and pop users relying on auto modes.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F11 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd +9 more
Steve40
Like?
In reply to DS21, Aug 5, 2013

One of the mostest best things you can do, is to run the Tone on low. That helps to belay a lot of excessive contrast, and blown highlights.  I find the flash does better in the auro modes, than in the more manual modes, if that is any consolation.

-- hide signature --

Steve40.

AdamT
Like?
In reply to DS21, Aug 5, 2013

I found the 200 series` want to underexpose (unless correcred) lost the whole point of EXR as you ended up PP`ing the shadows up anyway and you could do that with the SCCD cams (and canons etc) .. I always, since the really old cams found the Exposure comp button the most useful button of all on any Fuji - the F31 would underexpose by 2 stops or more in dull weather, the F30 over in good weather as you say, the HS series overexpose ..

A command dial set to Exposure comp is more useful than aperture on a Fuji - shame there`s no option to make it default to that or allow use of the manual focus ring

My mention of Fuji putting in useful defaults and getting the Auto modes to work was solely in relation to the OP and the rest of the usual Tourists / P&Sers who are the target market for these kind of cameras .

-- hide signature --

Steve40
Like?

Well my Canon G12 really sucks in the Auto mode. But it is not meant for a tourist camera, its semi pro. When I first got it i tried auto, and thought it was broke.

Well its not really that bad. But pretty much sucks as compared to its manual. and ssemi manual modes.

-- hide signature --

Steve40.

Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,145Gear list
Like?
sounds like pilot error ...

I reviewed the HS25 quite some time ago and had a good experience with it.

Perhaps you should have read this first?

Nothing Special: How to Shoot an EXR Camera

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Steve40
Like?
Re: sounds like pilot error ...
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Aug 5, 2013

Kim Letkeman wrote:

-- hide signature --

Oh, I beg to differ. I’ve just been doing a little more research with my HS35, and it behaves completely different in different shooting situations. In high contrast light, it likes Multi metering, with -.67 EV comp. If you Zoom more than 200mm, it likes Average metering, with only -.33 EV comp. If light is flat -.33 EV is good for wider shots, and long tele is better at 0 EV comp. But you still need to change metering modes.

These cameras if you get what they are capable out of them, will really send you back to school. If you don’t like that idea, don’t get one of these.

You don't get half of what they are really capable of, if you limit yourself to EXR modes. In fact!, you would not even know it is the same camera. If you just use EXR, you are doing yourself a big disservice. EXR is for wimps, that should just stick to their cell phones.

-- hide signature --

Steve40.

Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,145Gear list
Like?
wow ... some of the strangest settings I have ever seen ...
In reply to Steve40, Aug 6, 2013

Steve40 wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

-- hide signature --

Oh, I beg to differ.

You are allowed to differ without the begging ...

I’ve just been doing a little more research with my HS35,

Very interesting ... the HS25 is the actual subject of this thread and the HS35 differs by offering RAW, so it seems that you are fond of comparing apples to oranges ...

and it behaves completely different in different shooting situations. In high contrast light, it likes Multi metering, with -.67 EV comp. If you Zoom more than 200mm, it likes Average metering, with only -.33 EV comp. If light is flat -.33 EV is good for wider shots, and long tele is better at 0 EV comp. But you still need to change metering modes.

Wow ... you've managed to create the most difficult set of settings ever. Congrats on that, but you should spend your time learning how meters work and then just leave it in Matrix most of the time.

These cameras if you get what they are capable out of them, will really send you back to school. If you don’t like that idea, don’t get one of these.

They are best used in the hands of enthusiasts, true. However, I would personally stop short of creating funky settings for every focal length ... I really think you were sent to the wrong school

You don't get half of what they are really capable of, if you limit yourself to EXR modes.

What is really strange about that comment is that the post to which you are responding -- mine -- recommends my EXR article, which quite specifically says that one should use PASM modes. Thanks for agreeing, I guess.

In fact!, you would not even know it is the same camera. If you just use EXR, you are doing yourself a big disservice. EXR is for wimps, that should just stick to their cell phones.

Actually, you are probably suggesting that the use of EXR AUTO is bad, which is true. The cameras all make poor DR decisions in that mode.

But EXR DR with DR400 is actually quite decent. I prefer P mode with DR400 and M size, but the two are very similar in their shooting response.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
andy10
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
Re: wow ... some of the strangest settings I have ever seen ...
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Aug 7, 2013

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Steve40 wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

-- hide signature --

Oh, I beg to differ.

You are allowed to differ without the begging ...

I’ve just been doing a little more research with my HS35,

Very interesting ... the HS25 is the actual subject of this thread and the HS35 differs by offering RAW, so it seems that you are fond of comparing apples to oranges ...

and it behaves completely different in different shooting situations. In high contrast light, it likes Multi metering, with -.67 EV comp. If you Zoom more than 200mm, it likes Average metering, with only -.33 EV comp. If light is flat -.33 EV is good for wider shots, and long tele is better at 0 EV comp. But you still need to change metering modes.

Wow ... you've managed to create the most difficult set of settings ever. Congrats on that, but you should spend your time learning how meters work and then just leave it in Matrix most of the time.

They are best used in the hands of enthusiasts, true. However, I would personally stop short of creating funky settings for every focal length ... I really think you were sent to the wrong school

You don't get half of what they are really capable of, if you limit yourself to EXR modes.

What is really strange about that comment is that the post to which you are responding -- mine -- recommends my EXR article, which quite specifically says that one should use PASM modes. Thanks for agreeing, I guess.

In fact!, you would not even know it is the same camera. If you just use EXR, you are doing yourself a big disservice. EXR is for wimps, that should just stick to their cell phones.

Actually, you are probably suggesting that the use of EXR AUTO is bad, which is true. The cameras all make poor DR decisions in that mode.

But EXR DR with DR400 is actually quite decent. I prefer P mode with DR400 and M size, but the two are very similar in their shooting response.

-- hide signature --

I generally use the EXR DR setting you suggest, and am pleased with the results I get, as long as I adjust for overexposure. I really like the manual zoom and the ability to add a filter, things not available on the competition's cameras. What I don't get at all is why Fuji produce a series of cameras that invariably overexposes unless you use the exposure adjustment. Once you do it, it's fine, but beginners who start with EXR auto, which doesn't allow the exposure adjustment, will get a very poor first impression. From Fuji's point of view this wouldn't seem to make sense.

A

Steve40
Like?
Re: wow ... some of the strangest settings I have ever seen ...
In reply to andy10, Aug 7, 2013

Fuji over the years has done a lot, that didn’t make sense. Like the Super CCD, it would give any CMOS a run for its money, and then some. But evidently it cost them a little more than they wanted to spend, so they dropped it.

Just like the plastic tripod socket on the HS -- EXR cameras, on a heavy camera that does not make any sense good or bad. But plastic is probably a few cents cheaper. Come on!: what ever happened to pride in craftsmanship, it got replaced by GREED that’s what. 

-- hide signature --

Steve40.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads