Overall, very good

Started Apr 6, 2012 | User reviews
Chromavisphoto
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
Overall, very good
Apr 6, 2012

I have a gallery in my profile with some samples from the X-S1 and will be adding more to it over time.
I bought this camera just over a week ago just prior to a trip to Toronto. I was looking forward to trying the camera out at Niagara Falls as well as the many daffodil fields. I was most pleased with the results of the flowers. The shots at Niagara turned out good but zooming in too 100% magnification revealed the typical "pixel mottling" I find common in non-SLR cameras.....in other words the detail was not as true as I would like. The shots of the Daffodils turned out much better with more faithful detail representation. I mostly shoot portraiture and flowers so as long as the quality excels in those areas I will be happy though. I have yet to test it out on portraits but am looking forward to doing so in the next few weeks as I have a couple photoshoots scheduled.
The big zoom is very nice. It was the main reason for my purchasing the camera. I need something that gives me very good zoom range for airshows without having to spend massive money on expensive glass and without having to swap lenses. I am looking forward to an airshow in June to test it out.
The one area that I am disappointed on though is the macro/super macro. I also have a Nikon L120 and the macro/super macro functionality on it is SO much better. The minimum distances for the macro and super macro mode I found to be a disappointment. I was really expecting better minimum focus distances throughout the zoom range after getting used to the Nikon.
All said, I am so far quite happy with the camera. I also bought the EF-42 Shoemount flash for my portraiture work and am looking forward to testing it out as well.
I love the fact that the camera uses a Li-on battery instead of AA. The battery life seems to be quite good but I'm sure a big reason for that is the manual zoom instead of the motorized zoom that is usually found on non-DLSR cameras. The manual zoom is a big benefit as well since it is more precise.
The EXR mode works VERY well I have found. I have shot a series of test shots of the same subject in poor light and the EXR mode easily produced not only the best shots but rather excellent shots.

Problems:

Could have better (smaller) minimum focus distances throughout the zoom range for the macro and super macro modes.
Pixel mottling found on landscape shots even during good light. I find this to be common on every non-DSLR I have ever used.

Chromavisphoto's gear list:Chromavisphoto's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM
Chromavisphoto's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
okay
Portraits
unrated
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
great
= community average
Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix L120
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads