It's a kit lens...

Started Apr 17, 2012 | User reviews
hikenhi
Regular MemberPosts: 498Gear list
Like?
It's a kit lens...
Apr 17, 2012

This lens was included with my first Pentax DSLR—my K10D. I really just needed a general zoom to go with my first DSLR. However, after using this lens for a couple of years following the purchase of my Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF), I realized how lousy this lens was in terms of IQ and performance. I just tended to forget about it and use my Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) until I was fortunate enough to get a really nice general zoom—my Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM, 3 years later. I will say that it’s got a nice build for $100 more or even $150 if you bought it separately. It did its job while I had it but now that I have a pretty good assortment of very nice lenses, I’d never consider buying a kit lens again. I’ve thought about the newer 18-55 II in the weather sealed version, but I’m also against buying variable aperture lenses—it doesn’t suite my style. I’ve thought about the DA 17-70 f4 lens, but that’s a KAF3 mount and from what I understand, when it’s SDM fails, the lens has no auto focus backup like the SDM DA*’s and use a KAF2 mount—they can fall back on the screw-drive auto focus in the event that the SDM fails in the field and that’s huge for me.

Problems:

Lens is out of focus if you go past infinity for landscape shots. Viginetting, not very shap.

hikenhi's gear list:hikenhi's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +5 more
hikenhi's score
Average community score
Pentax K10D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads