HX200V - an all-purpose point & shoot

Started May 15, 2012 | User reviews
Joe6
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
HX200V - an all-purpose point & shoot
May 15, 2012

I've been using this camera for 6 weeks now. I love for being an all-purpose point and shoot. There's a clear division of labour: I'm in charge of composing the shot. The camera does the rest. That's fine with me.

Pros:
- Good image quality, but not as good as a DSLR or the interchangeable lenses series.
- Very fast response (start-up, shot to shot, etc).
- Fast, accurate autofocus.
- Great low-light performance. I barely use the flash. In a 10 days holiday to Berlin I've only used the built-in flash once, including all indoor and outdoor night shots.
- Very usable 30X zoom. I've never used a tripod (I don't even have one). I know people say things about the 'X' and 'MP' wars. I don't care. It allows me to compose the shot I want. I don't have the patience to do post-editing & cropping.
- It feels good. Not too bulky, not too small.
- Plenty of usable features, I'm not going to list them all. HDR, GPS with track logging, panorama, tracking focus, manual tweaking.
- Excellent video quality.
-

Problems:

- It's not a DSLR. Nor a coffee maker or psychotherapist
- No RAW support, external flash or external mic connectivity (Wake up Sony!)
- The lens hood is annoying – you've got to remove it manually prior to camera start-up. I can live with it.
- No stand-alone charger.

Joe6's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Susan Taylor
Regular MemberPosts: 224
Like?
Re: HX200V - an all-purpose point & shoot
In reply to Joe6, May 17, 2013

Just got my HX200V yesterday and it's been raining so I've not yet had opportunity to go out on a new camera photo hike but I do love the feel of it in my hands and the responsiveness.  Also love the connection between the viewfinder and the LCD screen which is just like on the DSLR I have (Sony A57).  Now I feel like I have a great alternative when I don't want to carry the bigger camera and lens but still might need the zoom power.

You mentioned no separate charger but I noticed a "travel charger" on Sony's accessories for this camera which may work when a charge is needed outside of the camera.  I don't have it, obviously, so can't judge for sure.  Also I am going to look on Amazon for something else and can look for a charger as well.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KCHAWK
Senior MemberPosts: 1,532Gear list
Like?
Re: HX200V - an all-purpose point & shoot
In reply to Susan Taylor, May 17, 2013

Susan -  I bought Wasabi battery and charger on Amazon.  Works fine for me.  Dont ask how many shots etc.:-)  I do not count.

-- hide signature --

Larry
Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape

KCHAWK's gear list:KCHAWK's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads