DSC-HX100V... "OK" camera

Started May 25, 2012 | User reviews
MatreG
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
DSC-HX100V... "OK" camera
May 25, 2012

Photo quality is very good. 30x zoom is very handy. And 10fps burst mode is great. However, there are some major drawbacks. No RAW. Poor quality in low-light situations. Inability to focus when using the zoom to capture a macro-like shot. And the operational performance is sluggish... switching between shooting modes, or between playback and shooting.

Overall I've learned to work with the shortcomings, and the photos I've taken come out great. I just feel that I'm being limited and am being held back by this camera. Next stop, a true DSLR.

Problems:

Focusing when zooming into a macro-like shot.
Low-light situations.
Sluggish operational performance.

MatreG's gear list:MatreG's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4
MatreG's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
great
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
poor
Flash photography (social)
weak
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Pugmaster
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: DSC-HX100V... "OK" camera
In reply to MatreG, 3 months ago

I have used this camera for 2+ years.  I experienced the same problems you did.  Manual control of this camera is very difficult.  Focus will drive you nuts.  Other than that, it's a great bridge camera.  I have upgraded to the RX-10.  It uses the same lens but the 4x larger light sensor gives you the full capability of the lens.  It can also be totally manual.  The movie quality is excellent.  I use it in movie mode for wildlife shots using a tripod. (mostly birds)  Then edit the movie frame by frame for the shot I want.  I can freeze the wings of a humming bird or show the blur depending on what I want.  (just not with the same movie clip)  Some may call that cheating but it sure beats setting with your finger on the shutter button for hours at a time.  This camera will make you look like a professional.  I love it and am not interested in a full body camera and all the glass.  That's a lot of expense for an amateur like myself and I'm not convinced the additional expense and hardware would produce better results.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads