New owner of X-S1. Lens play a problem?

Started Jun 13, 2012 | User reviews
Dave in NC
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
New owner of X-S1. Lens play a problem?
Jun 13, 2012

Just got this out of the box, and would like to know if anyone else has commented on the lens play near the outer range of zoom? It really seems to be allot for a camera that is otherwise very tight. The one I got was a refurb from Amazon, so Im wondering if this camera is an anomally, or they are all built this way.

Very interested to hear any feedback from anyone that has noticed this, and if it is a design issue, or I just got a lemon.

Other than that, the camera is awesome.

DaveB in New Bern, NC

Dave in NC's score
Average community score
Fujifilm X-S1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
podgornio
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
Re: New owner of X-S1. Lens play a problem?
In reply to Dave in NC, Dec 11, 2013

I think this is a problem in your copy. Zoom of mine is firm in any position.
For me definitely the best existing superzoom, far away from Panas.

Kind regards,

podgornio's gear list:podgornio's gear list
Olympus SP-350
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,683
Like?
In reply to Dave in NC, Dec 12, 2013

Dave in NC wrote:

Just got this out of the box, and would like to know if anyone else has commented on the lens play near the outer range of zoom? It really seems to be allot for a camera that is otherwise very tight. The one I got was a refurb from Amazon, so Im wondering if this camera is an anomally, or they are all built this way.

That lens play is the norm for the X-S1 and it was discovered and reported here by quite a number of forum X-S1 owners shortly after the X-S1 was introduced, where the problem was referred to as "lens droop". It doesn't seem to have a negative affect on image quality, Fuji doesn't consider it to be a problem, and that's the consensus here too. I bought a new X-S1 about a week ago and it also has a slight bit of droop when the lens is fully extended. I don't consider it to be a problem.

Lightpath48
Senior MemberPosts: 2,395Gear list
Like?
In reply to photoreddi, Dec 12, 2013

My X-S1 also has droop. I test shot with it drooped and supported (un-drooped?). There was no discernible difference. Both were relatively, though not outstandingly sharp. For my needs the X-S1 performs admirably enough. I can live with it, though my 21A serial number copy has just slight orbing in extreme situations, and the droop.

Lightpath48's gear list:Lightpath48's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D3300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II
bill2reg
Regular MemberPosts: 314
Like?

I agree with others here. Mine has a slight droop at full extension, but it doesn't seem to affect the image. Some X-S1 s (mine included) also show some lens "creep", where the lens tends to zoom in or out when the camera is tilted up or down. Mine needs about a 30º tilt before it happens, but I don't often tilt the camera that much. I simply use a wide rubber band if it's really needed, and again this only happens when the lens is about halfway or more extended, as well as tilted 30º or more up or down, so overall not much of an issue. It's a great camera! I hope you enjoy using it!

PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,217
Like?

Quite normal.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads