Kalashnikov Of The Cameras

Started Sep 6, 2012 | User reviews
vad1m
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
Kalashnikov Of The Cameras
Sep 6, 2012

I've owned and actively used several earlier waterproof Pentax models starting WP. I've been using Pentax WG-2 since April 2012.

Conceptually, WP is the type of camera that upfront inspires no great expectations as far as quality of the photos. It's just an inconspicuous soap box that "gets you legible pictures" when and where anything else would either break or get stolen.

I got bored and annoyed of my WPs that would just never break, to the point when I started to give them away. One happy day i presented the last specimen as a gift to a friend of mine, because he said he lost his camera. I hoped to get something newer and better.

Allright, quite predictably, i got a WG-2. Brand sparkling new! So... same unbreakable brick. However, this time it's bulky and draws to much attention. I wasn't quite happy again and got myself a Nikon AW100 that had less megapixel (who cares?) but was more functional, better designed and less expensive - at least, in Costco at that time.

I went to Mexico and tried WG2 against AW100 "in the field," more specifically, on a beach. Those who ever took pictures on the beach would know that water and sand are not best friends of your camera; so it was a fair trial.

Although I definitely preferred the size, the form and the feel of AW100, it had one critical flow: its lens would get foggy every other time I submerged the camera in a warm sea or pool; therefore - lost action shots. At the same time, WG-2 consistently remained ready to shoot when I wanted it. The bad news is that WG2 screen got scratched rather worse than the other camera's, which was - and still is - an annoyance; however, it didn't change the bottom line: WG-2 DID MAKE LEGIBLE PICTURES OR MOVIES when and where the other camera failed.

And the AW100 was happily returned to the store, almost unscratched.

As a bonus, WG-2's flash is located on the left hand side of the camera body so that your fingers don't get into it.

If you finally decide to buy a WG-2, you may want to install screen protection.

Problems:

Screen is easily scratched
Attracts too much attention
Too Bulky
Low light performance could be much better

vad1m's gear list:vad1m's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
vad1m's score
Average community score
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Pentax Optio WG-2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads