Featureless budget cam

Started Sep 8, 2012 | User reviews
Lupti
Senior MemberPosts: 1,577
Like?
Featureless budget cam
Sep 8, 2012

The Canon Powershot A1300 is a budget cam selling for cheap prices. However even for that money you can get better cameras. It feels pretty cheap with it´s plastic body, considering that you can get an Ixus made of metal with a ways more solid feeling is a bit questionable.
The 16MP are too much for this kind of sensor. Dynamic Range is pretty limited and the exposure doesn´t work that proper. I always had to apply exposure correction of -1/3 to -2/3 for a pic that isn´t overexposed.
Exposure review on the screan doesn´t work that reliable.
Image quality at ISO100 is acceptable but still far away from good. I see no benefit of the 16MP. There is too much NR applied and oversharpening artifacts also appear.
But the biggest flaw is missing image stabilisitation, c´mon Canon, you can´t be serious to put no IS in a camera in 2012. So the camera needs high shutter speeds to avoid shake - and therefore increasing ISO with a rapid loss of IQ.
Movies are about average for this class, they are watchable but I don´t see the point why they had to be 25fps instead of 30. Monaural sound is a bit muffled. Optical zooming isn´t possible when filming.
The viewfinder is pretty small, not really useful. The display has low resolution but is acceptable.
Using AA batteries can be handy because they are avaible at most areas in the world.
Overall I wouldn´t this camera even if you are on a tight budget. There are better alternatives even for that money.

Problems:

- IQ isn´t the best
- no stabilisation
- cheap constructio

Lupti's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
weak
Action / sports
weak
Landscapes / scenery
acceptable
Portraits
weak
Low light (without flash)
awful
Flash photography (social)
mediocre
Studio / still life
acceptable
= community average
Canon PowerShot A1300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads