A little wonder, with weird buttons

Started Oct 6, 2012 | User reviews
Tord S Eriksson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,121Gear list
Like?
A little wonder, with weird buttons
Oct 6, 2012

It was seeing others using this little wonder that made me buy one for my wife, but she opted for the OM-D E-M5 instead, so I inherited it! Quickly it grew on me, and pretty soon it became my favorite camera (I have a few...).

PROS:
=====

* very rugged design, feels like a Leica!

* excellent viewfinder, one of the best EVFs on the market.

* Utterly silent shutter, perfect for candid photography, shooting easily scared animals, and similar subject.

* As you can choose between mechanical and electronic shutter, you can have utterly short exposures (1/1400 sec) with the electronic shutter, but that shutter has a low flash sync speed, so there is also a mechanical one, that syncs at 1/250 sec.

* The native lenses, from the N1 series, are small and very sharp (except the 10-100 zoom which is motorized, and exclusively designed for video). Using these focusing is frighteningly fast, almost instant.

* The small size of the sensor transforms even your relatively small F Mount lenses to zoom marvels: a 70-300mm becomes a 189-810mm (on a full format camera), and so on, so now you can bring super zooms to the field, that are the size that fits in your little shoulder bag! And the lenses's VR (anti-vibration) still works excellently!

* The camera uses the same battery as many other Nikons, like the D600 and the D7000, so it lasts a very long time!

Problems:

There are a few flaws in the design, but not many:

* The buttons are arranged in a weird way, and the thumb wheel, controlling shooting mode (Video, Stills, and so on) is very, very easy to knock out of position, just by gripping the camera, or taking it out of your bag. The flash uses an unusual socket (looks a bit like that on the Leica X2, or Olympus XZ-1), so standard Nikon flashes do not work. And there is a tiny plastic cap to that flash socket that very easily gets lost!

* There is a nice adapter for it (FT1), so you can use Nikon SLR lenses with it, but only genuine Nikon lenses's anti-shake, and focusing, will work!!! So while you can attach a F Mount Sigma, you are well served with totally manual lens, as the latest OIS wonder!

* There are too few buttons on it, as many of us would like a button for ISO, and a Fn button, or two, that we can assign any function we want to, like on most other exchangeable lens cameras from Nikon.

* Possibly more pixels on the sensor would be nice, like the RX100's, but that will probably come with the new version ...

* Not perfect in low light, due the small size of the sensor.

* The available lenses are not very fast (but very sharp), but better are on the way ;-)!

* The amazing focusing is not quite that amazing when used with F Mount lenses.

* How much charge there is left in the battery is very roughly shown, and not very accurate.

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Pentax K-x Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +22 more
Tord S Eriksson's score
Average community score
Leica X2 Nikon D600 Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus XZ-1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tord S Eriksson
Like?
Re: A little wonder, with weird buttons
In reply to Tord S Eriksson, May 11, 2013

Addendum

I have now had the V1 for a year and a half, and it has become my #1 camera, without doubt.

Eagerly awaiting an updated version, with a bigger viewfinder, and the sensor we see in the J3, or something even better!

The irritation over the mode select wheel is as alive as before, and I'd love to have the thumb wheels of the V2, but not the smaller size of the V2. Nor the noiser higher ISOs! But the new, better, bigger, electronic viewfinder that Olympus uses on the E-P6 would suit me just grand, if it could be incorporated in a Nikon 1 camera - don't care what they'll call them ;-)!

Seems to me the Nikon 1 range is here to stay, but I wouldn't say no to a DX version of it :-)!

-- hide signature --

tord (at) mindless (dot) com
Nikon, Pentax, Sony & Canon user

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gale Bizet
Forum ProPosts: 15,256Gear list
Like?
Re: A little wonder, with weird buttons
In reply to Tord S Eriksson, May 12, 2013

Very interesting .

Thank you.

Just got the 30-110 lens for it. Only had the chance for a few shots.

Good little camra and fast. Easy to carry around.

-- hide signature --

Nikon Gal
Best Regards
Gale
www.pbase.com/techwish

Pangloss
Senior MemberPosts: 2,298Gear list
Like?
Thanks for the concise review
In reply to Tord S Eriksson, May 12, 2013

Hi Tord,

I enjoyed reading your review of the Nikon V1 (my black V1 kit with the 10mm and the 10-30mm is in the mail, I bought it now that it is heavily discounted just about everywhere) and I visited your website, I discovered we share an interest in R/C models, I too flew a foam flying wing a few years ago.

Wishing you some perfect shots in extraordinary light,

Greetings,

-- hide signature --

Andrew
Novice photographer

Pangloss's gear list:Pangloss's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Ricoh GXR GR Lens A12 28mm F2.5 Nikon 1 V1 +4 more
Tord S Eriksson
Like?
Re: Thanks for the concise review
In reply to Pangloss, May 13, 2013

Hi Andrew,

It's true: I was once totally engrossed in foamies, then it became paddling folding kayaks, and now cameras!

Hope to convert a powered glider for aerial photography, some time in the future!

-- hide signature --

tord (at) mindless (dot) com
Nikon, Pentax, Sony & Canon user

Jerry R
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,741
Like?
Todd, the only thing I would have liked on the V1 is a tilt LCD. The EVF is the
In reply to Tord S Eriksson, May 13, 2013

Todd, the only thing I would have liked on the V1 is a tilt LCD. The EVF is the only one I have tried that does not look like a video screen. I wish Sony had one as good for the NEX series.

Enjoy

-- hide signature --

Canon A2E, Sony R1, Panny TZ5, NEX C3/Zeiss 24mm E Lens & Nikon V1

philipspeakes
Regular MemberPosts: 331
Like?
Re: Thanks for the concise review
In reply to Tord S Eriksson, May 14, 2013

On the sigma forum a couple years ago was a post of someone (I think a German outfit) putting Dp1's or DP2's on gliders or model airplanes, or maybe even balloons for arial photography. The cameras are very light and good IQ. They may have put a couple of them on rig. They were very happy with the set-up. I looked for the post but can't find it, I'll let you know if it turns up.

olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 22,761
Like?
Re: Todd, the only thing I would have liked on the V1 is a tilt LCD. The EVF is the
In reply to Jerry R, May 14, 2013

Jerry R wrote:

Todd, the only thing I would have liked on the V1 is a tilt LCD. The EVF is the only one I have tried that does not look like a video screen. I wish Sony had one as good for the NEX series.

I completely agree. OK, I also wish the mode dial did not exist at all on the V1, but that's just me. In my opinion a small camera should have as few buttons and dials as possible.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads