Not better than a bad compact

Started Oct 17, 2012 | User reviews
karraa
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Not better than a bad compact
Oct 17, 2012

Bought this camera for my work, after reading all professional excellent reviews. Very disappointed with the performance. It just can’t produce decent pictures. I get a lot better pictures with the Fuji S100FS that I own private. I take about 10 000 pictures a year so I consider me to be fairly experienced.

Problems:

Scharpness is very bad.
Autofocus speed in live view is horrible, live view can only be used for macro purpose when using manual focus.
Battery life is not very great.
Flash performance is catastrophic, it has to be set manually to get some light on the object.

karraa's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
unrated
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
bad
Portraits
weak
Low light (without flash)
unrated
Flash photography (social)
awful
Studio / still life
weak
= community average
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
joy8
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
Re: Not better than a bad compact
In reply to karraa, 8 months ago

hallo, in the beginning I had some few problems concerning sharpness with my k-x; too.

The sharpness was not so good adjusted by factory as I was accustomed by k100 and k200

Than i read the operation manual, and I tried to change program in menue.

1.I've switched noise reducer totally "OFF".

2.elemination of CA's "ON"

3.contrast,sharpness and color saturation +3.

try these changements; and you'll much more content with it.

I find, this is an excellent performer for higher ISO such as 1600.

I am using FUJIFILM HS 20 EXR with 8MP for extreme telephotos and Finpix S7000 with 12 MP for macro shootings. colors are much more intensive. Sharpness is a little bit higher. But Super CCD is superior to all brands, because they are owner of the first and best patent rights.FUJ's engineers have invented digital photography and sold patents afterwards to Kodak and Nikon.

Ok? - kind regards - joe

joy8's gear list:joy8's gear list
Pentax Optio I-10 Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Samsung NX2000 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John_A_G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,449
Like?
In reply to joy8, 8 months ago

Joe - I gotta ask - how did you end up responding to an 18 month old post?

Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 3,172Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax Kx released Sep., 18, 2009 = nearly 5 years back

Actually had very high IQ from what I've read.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,719Gear list
Like?

Loved mine but then I used the optical viewfinder.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
joy8
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
In reply to karraa, 7 months ago

here is joe once more, try to modify FILTERS in menue, 3rd "higher contrast" second level, and your k.x is much more better than a bad compact. ok?

I reach with this modification as sharp results as with k200-

unfortunately when switching off, this changement must be repeated, when switching on.

the small grey flare is away and my lanscapes and macros are now extremely sharp.try it:-)

joy8's gear list:joy8's gear list
Pentax Optio I-10 Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Samsung NX2000 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL +7 more
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,446Gear list
Like?

karraa wrote:

Bought this camera for my work, after reading all professional excellent reviews. Very disappointed with the performance. It just can’t produce decent pictures. I get a lot better pictures with the Fuji S100FS that I own private. I take about 10 000 pictures a year so I consider me to be fairly experienced.

I owned a K-x for four years. Either your camera is defective, or the problem is behind the camera.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +15 more
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,446Gear list
Like?
In reply to joy8, 7 months ago

joy8 wrote:

3.contrast,sharpness and color saturation +3.

That's a matter of taste. Your settings sound terrible to me, way overdone, but I guess some people like that.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +15 more
JimC1101
Regular MemberPosts: 442Gear list
Like?

I really think the sharpness issue comes with the fact that a small sensor had a huge amount of DOF.....which is good if you want to snap a compact.....but bad if you want to stop down aperture and get bokeh. I don't think most of compact users even think of DOF, I know I never did with my Canon S3-IS. Compact cameras are easy compared to DSLR's. It is more of an art form than just a snap and I think a lot of us are daily still improving our craft to improve our work. I know a lot of friends hate having to wait me to make adjustments in camera,  but when they see the difference.....they tell me....."Wow...these look like  a  photo from a book". To me, that is the fun, and hobby of being a photographer. It is almost a practice as doctors do, they are always looking to get better. Compacts are good enough to a majority of takers, even smart phones, but I don't think I would be putting a 16x20 on my IPhone or Tab. That is the difference and a lot of people think it is easy.

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimC1101's gear list:JimC1101's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +1 more
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,821Gear list
Like?
In reply to John_A_G, 7 months ago

John_A_G wrote:

Joe - I gotta ask - how did you end up responding to an 18 month old post?

You have to laugh

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
tom1234567
Regular MemberPosts: 493Gear list
Like?
In reply to awaldram, 7 months ago

Is this person KARRAA a troll on the forum maybe he should learn more about the camera  and settings before he gets behind it why try and slag an excellent camera just because he does not no how to use it

Tom G

-- hide signature --

N.S.A. and G.C.H.Q. The only government goons that "LISTEN"?????
I'm a 30yr old trapped in a 63yr old body

tom1234567's gear list:tom1234567's gear list
Pentax K-3
JimC1101
Regular MemberPosts: 442Gear list
Like?
In reply to awaldram, 7 months ago

Yeah, maybe the readers were thinking of the best way to  reply.

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimC1101's gear list:JimC1101's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +1 more
gkreth
Senior MemberPosts: 2,977
Like?
Actually, quite good
In reply to audiobomber, 7 months ago

audiobomber wrote:

karraa wrote:

I owned a K-x for four years. Either your camera is defective, or the problem is behind the camera.

-- hide signature --

Dan

Ditto. I was very happy with my K-x. The only reason I don't use it now is because I upgraded to a K30 last June.

Greg

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads