High-end compact, but with issues

Started Nov 6, 2012 | User reviews
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,923Gear list
Like?
High-end compact, but with issues
Nov 6, 2012

These are really just my first impressions....

A very interesting little camera. Feels like a little Leica. Acts like a little Leica in terms of the controls being very nicely implemented, with nice detents and a clever zoom/off ring. Takes photos that look like Velvia film. Easy to see why people like it. That said, this is a camera with issues.

I got it because I wrote a tool called DeOrbIt to remove the white orbs... and white orbs are much more common than I expected, although they're usually not overpowering. I didn't expect gray/black holes, but I got them too and they're nasty. In general, it really gets a lot out of its little sensor, but dynamic range is just not there.

The other big miss is that, despite having a darn good set of controls, there really isn't any grip to the camera. This really matters because a neck strap makes this otherwise pocket-sized camera not. If only it had the grip of my NEX-5/7, or even of my old Canon G5....

Problems:

Well, the lack of dynamic range, orbs, and lack of grip are all problems... but not unexpected. I was surprised to see the lens barrel intruding on the viewfinder view, but I can't imagine using this viewfinder for much anyway (I'm spoiled by having used good EVFs).

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
ProfHankD's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
bad
Action / sports
bad
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
awful
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads