This camera is for my shirt pocket.

Started Nov 14, 2012 | User reviews
mburns
Regular MemberPosts: 164Gear list
Like?
This camera is for my shirt pocket.
Nov 14, 2012

This is a pocket camera that I still carry on all outings after nine months of use. The metal construction inspires my confidence in handling it. The lens and sensor have great resolution. The color rendition on the jpeg files and on the rear screen is very pleasing, the best point of this camera. I can use the zoom dial to magnify the rear screen view to the scale of an 8" by 10" print (5.4 magnification and higher) to check the quality.

This camera by default overexposes and then performs color recovery in the highlights. I am sure of this at least in full daylight. This technique is used by Samsung to reduce the digital noise that would be otherwise visible. But the contrast curve is thereby made invalid.

Because I prefer the realism of a good contrast curve, I now set the camera to ISO 200 for correct exposure. I set the contrast to -1 and the saturation to +1 for the rendition closest to reality. The noise level is then just as expected for the sensor size.

The three star rating is for the digital noise that is inevitable for this sensor size. There are three ways that I will deal with this sensor noise. For one, I can reduce the pixel count to about 1.5 million for online posting, or I can use the free Hugin software for either making a panorama or a composite average of multiple exposures.

I can use the Samsung camera without all of this fuss for daytime cityscapes; the high contrast effect does very well there.

mburns's gear list:mburns's gear list
Samsung ST65 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 30D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III +58 more
mburns's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
unrated
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
unrated
Low light (without flash)