Overexposes

Started Nov 21, 2012 | User reviews
seekr
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Overexposes
Nov 21, 2012

I was impressed with the build quality, solidity and sharpness.
But, used with my Nikon D90, every image was very overexposed, whether with the built-in flash, SB-400 flash or without flash. Regardless of the many various settings I tried, images were badly overexposed. I have other Nikon brand lenses, both from my old Nikon film SLR days, (28-105mm) as well as the 18-55 and 55-200 kit lenses, and the 85mm micro. They all exposed properly, taking as close to identical comparison photos from a tripod as I could. I guess could have dialed in a negative compensation when using the lens, but then I'd have to remember to recorrect for other lenses.

Tokina's US rep suggested sending it to them for inspection, as they said they had not heard of this problem. As I recall, the EXIF data f-stop and speed set by the camera were pretty well matched to those of the other lenses, but the resulting images were not.

I just returned it to the retailer, and purchased the Nikon 40mm micro. Exposures are now spot on.

seekr's score
Average community score
Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dfrnz
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Re: Overexposes
In reply to seekr, 11 months ago

Overexposure has nothing to do with the lens. That can be fixed in-camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
skidMark
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to seekr, 11 months ago

I am using that as my main lens on a D3100 which means I have to manually focus and do so willingly...because it is that good.

Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,574Gear list
Like?
In reply to dfrnz, 10 months ago

dfrnz wrote:

Overexposure has nothing to do with the lens. That can be fixed in-camera.

That is not true. Correct exposure is dependent on proper functioning of the lens. The aperture setting is half the exposure equation. If the aperture blades are stuck in the open position, then many shots will be overexposed.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads