This m43 Camera is the King

Started Nov 21, 2012 | User reviews
burnymeister
Senior MemberPosts: 1,498Gear list
Like?
This m43 Camera is the King
Nov 21, 2012

I've been a long-time user and supporter of the 43 format. If you look at my gear list of previously owned cameras you'll see a LONG list of 43 and m43 gear! (Embarassingly long... ;-))

While the size and weight of the gear has always been impressive there's always been concerns with two areas of the m43 lineup - the IQ of the smaller sensor (especially at higher ISO) and the AF capabilities, or lack thereof. As a landscape guy I don't care much about AF but IQ is very important to me.

The OM-D puts any doubts of IQ to rest. The camera is gorgeous, easy to hold (with an excellent grip accessory) and has very fast AF with the right lenses. The OOC jpeg's are what you expect from Olympus - crisp and saturated, just the way I love my landscapes!

I've owned some huge FF cameras but to this day the biggest prints (24x48 inches) hanging on my walls are from the GH2 and the OM-D - vertically stitched shots from trips that I wouldn't carry a big camera on no matter what. With the vast amount of excellent m43 lenses available from both Panasonic and Olympus I highly recommend this camera.

Problems:

The only reason for 4.5 stars and not 5 stars is that I still think the larger APS-C sensors (i.e. NEX) produce more DR and slightly more detail than the m43.

burnymeister's gear list:burnymeister's gear list
Sony RX1R RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony Alpha 7S Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +4 more
burnymeister's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
good
Action / sports
acceptable
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
okay
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads