This is one Superb Camera

Started Nov 25, 2012 | User reviews
gohunter
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
This is one Superb Camera
Nov 25, 2012

I bought the X10 as I was so frustrated by the poor screen visibility of my Olympus Pen E-P1. It was SO frustrating not being able to compose in bright sunlight!

So, the X10 was chosen as it has a "proper" optical viewfinder, so I could atleast compose with some confidence even though rangefinder viewfinders have a tendency to be inaccurate.

All I can say is that this is one hell of a compact camera. The picture quality is excellent and for those obsessed with orbs, I can honestly say that I have only ever seen them on ONE photo out of several thousands taken with it. The clarity of the photos are such that my Sony A550 DSLR now rarely sees the light of day. In fact we have just come back from a cruise around the Med, through the Suex Canal and around thee Red Sea. Regardless of whether I was taking photos in rainy, flooded Venice, hot Heraklion, much hotter Sharm el Sheikh or in the indoors of the ship, the image quality was superb.

The white balance is particularly good at coping with indoor variations in light and gets it very accurately right in 99% of situations, recording colours very accurately.

I love the ability to mimic Velvia for landscapes and the EXR sensor's wide dynamic range. In fact, despite knowing how to use the camera manually, I rarely bother as I know it will invariably get it right simply set to the EXR setting and allowed to detect the subject type and required lighting, contrast and sensitivity ratings. That way, I can get on with enjoying the surroundings and ambience of my holiday, rather than thinking exposure and lighting for shots!

Of course, on a cruise, you often exchange cameras with others to let them browse your photos whilst you browse theirs. The comments back about image quality were invariably along the lines of "Wow! Your photos are stunning. You have a superb camera."

The latest software update (V2.0) adds the Quick Menu to the RAW button and also ads some superb new effects and filters to the Advanced Mode. The spot colour ones are rather nice allowing you to take B&W photos with only red, yellow, green, blue or purple in colour.

Sadly, Fujifilm have not added the superb "grainy black and white" that I love so much on the Olympus E-P1. Oh well, maybe next release.....

Problems:

None.

gohunter's gear list:gohunter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Fujifilm X-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
gohunter's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
unrated
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Fujifilm X10 Olympus PEN E-P1 Sony SLT-A55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads