Couldn't really ask for more at this price range.

Started Jan 16, 2013 | User reviews
Wang Hung
Forum MemberPosts: 66Gear list
Like?
Couldn't really ask for more at this price range.
Jan 16, 2013

I got this camera brand new from a guy on craigslist for only $500. It came with the standard 18-55mm kit. It was fine during the day, but once I purchased the Sigma lens, it became a different beast. The pictures came out so beautiful, honestly some shots look like it came from cameras costing 3x-4x as much as what I paid for.
The dual scroll wheels are a breeze to use and makes adjusting settings very easy. The viewfinder is very good and sharp, night time is not an issue either. Menu system is great, navigating is easy and the settings makes sense. There is one thing that I found very strange, you (or at least I) cannot find a way to set the self timer to a custom value, it's always 2s or 12s. The only way for me to take a picture with a custom timer is to set interval shooting.
There's so many things I like about this camera.
- The way it handles
- Weather sealing
- Bright OVF
- Ability to use AA batteries via adapter
- Easy to use menu/buttons
- It has very decent noise level thanks to a more modern sensor
- It accepts all sorts of K-mount lens dating back many decades
- In body stabilization, and shake reduction is a nice feature

I would buy this camera in full frame version with articulating screen and more outputs, in a heart beat. And I truly think that will be the full frame version from Pentax next.

Problems:

The video options are limited, there's no HDMI output, and there's no MIC input neither. The flat LCD that does not articulate is actually something I felt missing as it prevented me from composing certain shots from strange angles. There's no "focus lock" mechanism on this thing and you have to keep switching either from the body or lens to get it to stop focusing on shutter. It divides up folders if you take more than 500 shots per folder, it will create a 2nd folder for more pictures. I also do not think this camera can read the battery too accurately. And yes, the battery does run out flash if you use flash and shoot. I would recommend buying a cheap AA battery adapter for it.

Wang Hung's gear list:Wang Hung's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Wang Hung's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
unrated
Action / sports
unrated
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
good
= community average
Pentax K-m (K2000)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bardisan
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
Re: Couldn't really ask for more at this price range.
In reply to Wang Hung, 11 months ago

Hi Wang,

Many thanks for your feedback, looking at purchasing the same Pentax K30, your comment about the Sigma lens that you purchased, are you able to pass on the model of the lens.

Using the camera in limited light is a major concern that I have.

Cheers Barry

Australia

bardisan's gear list:bardisan's gear list
Sigma 18-50mm F2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM Pentax 06 Telephoto 15-45mm
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,262Gear list
Like?
In reply to bardisan, 11 months ago

No for sure, i had it for a while excellent little cam.  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II +8 more
Coldamus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,581
Like?

Wang Hung wrote:

There's no "focus lock" mechanism on this thing and you have to keep switching either from the body or lens to get it to stop focusing on shutter.

Yes there is.  As with most cameras, autofocus occurs on half-pressing the shutter button.  Once you hear the focus confirm beep and/or see the focus confirmation indicator, the focus is locked while the shutter button is held in the half-pressed position.  If you wish, you can recompose and then press the shutter button the rest of the way down to take the shot.  (Page 63 of the English language manual).

If you find that too difficult, you can customise the buttons.  (see Page 167 of the English language manual)   The second setting "Enable AF2" may suit you.

danking
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?

Hello!

I was thinking of buying the Pentax K30 body and then looking for a lens. I read your article and was very curious which Sigma lens you purchased, or would recommend!

I have the option of:  Sigma AF 28-300mm Aspherical PRO Hyperzoom lens,

or: Promaster AF 28-80  f/3.5-5.6

Please tell me your thoughts!

Thank you,

Dan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads