Beautiful!

Started Feb 2, 2013 | User reviews
MediaArchivist
Contributing MemberPosts: 903Gear list
Like?
Beautiful!
Feb 2, 2013

"Perfect" walkaround lens on a crop sensor. Perfect focal length, the bokeh is quite good forward and back, and it is fast and sharp even when the sun goes down. Very good overall "feel" on the a77. The focus ring is perfect in feel and throw, and with focus peaking a night of manual focus is fun shooting.

This is one of my "rock and roll" lenses for shooting bands on dark stages. I usually shoot entire sets wide open with an excellent hit rate. At f/2, the focal plane is slightly wavy, so if you have the AF point set to off-center, the center might not be as sharp as you expect. This rarely shows up, but it is the only quirk with this lens. Outside stopped down to f/2.8 or more and it is super sharp. Another nice touch is the button on the side. I use this a lot in its default as a focus hold, but it can be remapped to another function on most of the Alphas.

It would be nice if it didn't cost so much, but it does and I think it is worth it.

Problems:

Expensive!

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +15 more
MediaArchivist's score
Average community score
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads