Canon SX500IS

Started Feb 2, 2013 | User reviews
rimcon
Regular MemberPosts: 122Gear list
Like?
Canon SX500IS
Feb 2, 2013

I have had this camera since the middle of December 2012. I bought it as a tag along camera for use on quick walks and when carrying a bag with equipment is not desirable. My first choice would have been the Canon G12 or Nikon equivalent, however the price points on these were more than I cared to spend for this purpose.

On the whole this proved to be a good compromise. Although it dies not have an optical viewfinder (something I considered essential) the viewing screen produces very good images in most lighting conditions. Focusing lag is as expected for this class of camera except it is noticeably slow in low light. The jpeg images are good quality with enough resolution for 9X12 prints, although I mostly use the photos in an electronic display (my laptop or tablet).
There is no raw capture option.

I mostly use the program mode however auto and manual shots have been acceptable. There is no extra fine quality available in these modes. Results at ISO 100 - 400 are good but get noisy at higher ISO settings.

I have done some video which came out ok but this is not something I do on a regular basis. It's ok in a "pinch".

I have ordered a faster memory card in the hope that faster write times will make the camera more like what I am used to.

The extreme telephoto zoom works well and there is a button on the side of the lens mount that brings you back to your point of focus before the zoom. This comes in handy for bird and wildlife shots.

It is not a DSLR but I did not intend it to be.

Problems:

None yet.

rimcon's gear list:rimcon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P520
rimcon's score
Average community score
Canon PowerShot G12
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads