First shot with CZ 24mm

Started Mar 15, 2013 | Discussions
alextardif
Regular MemberPosts: 208Gear list
Like?
First shot with CZ 24mm
Mar 15, 2013

Tried the CZ 24mm for the first time on the NEX7.  Really liking the bokeh but wondering what I might be doing wrong in terms of settings since I was surprised how much CA there was at wide open - you will easily notice it at the highest contrast areas on the out-of-focus pipe above.

I'm just getting into photography and learning my way around LR4, so I know some of this is fixable post processing, but would appreciate any comments on how (other than reducing aperture) I can improve the CA using this glass (it was really bad in some of my other shots).

General critique is welcome as well

alextardif's gear list:alextardif's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony a77 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +6 more
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 3,914
Like?
Re: First shot with CZ 24mm
In reply to alextardif, Mar 16, 2013

Ya, mostly is just looks like you got too much Gamma light. Turn it down and you should have a great image.

Also I probably would have included both spouts into focus.

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug, proud NEX-3 owner
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jefenator
Senior MemberPosts: 1,400Gear list
Like?
In reply to alextardif, Mar 16, 2013

I've had my best luck removing CA manually with the eyedropper tool in LR4's "Lens Corrections" tool section (under the "Color" sub-heading).

I'm not sure what else to recommend, since one usually composes a frame and shoots wide open for pretty specific reasons. (You could try stopping down just a little bit - f/2 won't change the depth too much but it does seem to tidy up many things - particularly in the corners. Though I often find a certain amount of CA there even at f/8...)

Or maybe try the Leica Summilux 24/1.4 - that seems to have a lot less CA and is quite reasonably priced at $7000.

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS M Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +1 more
Carlgo
Contributing MemberPosts: 532
Like?
In reply to Jefenator, Mar 16, 2013

Jefenator wrote:

I've had my best luck removing CA manually with the eyedropper tool in LR4's "Lens Corrections" tool section (under the "Color" sub-heading).

I'm not sure what else to recommend, since one usually composes a frame and shoots wide open for pretty specific reasons. (You could try stopping down just a little bit - f/2 won't change the depth too much but it does seem to tidy up many things - particularly in the corners. Though I often find a certain amount of CA there even at f/8...)

Or maybe try the Leica Summilux 24/1.4 - that seems to have a lot less CA and is quite reasonably priced at $7000.

There is also the new $7K 50mm to compliment that. $21K list price for 2 lenses and the new M camera. Darn, they actually sell these things as fast as they can make them and you have to wait.  Oh well, maybe just order the new Sigma 19 for the time being...

Hate nerdy and expensive software solutions for CA? While waiting a year or two for this problem to be handled automatically by the cameras and cheap consumer photo programs, simply convert to B&W. I took an inform portrait of a kid and didn't notice the erie green reflection on her cheek (hey, it was free. I will pay more attention when paid, which will never happen). Tried a number of cheap tricks to get rid of it without perfect success, so converted to B&W. Looks better than the color shots anyway in this case.

chillgreg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,094Gear list
Like?
In reply to alextardif, Mar 17, 2013

alextardif wrote:

Tried the CZ 24mm for the first time on the NEX7. Really liking the bokeh but wondering what I might be doing wrong in terms of settings since I was surprised how much CA there was at wide open - you will easily notice it at the highest contrast areas on the out-of-focus pipe above.

I'm just getting into photography and learning my way around LR4, so I know some of this is fixable post processing, but would appreciate any comments on how (other than reducing aperture) I can improve the CA using this glass (it was really bad in some of my other shots).

General critique is welcome as well

Nice photo!

I have the 5R and am considering the 35/1.8, a the CZ is a bit too big and $ for me.

Just a thought: Have you considered trying JPEG's? My understanding is that the camera should remove most of the CA. Seeing the high quality of the JPEG's, they should still respond well to some minor sharpening and/or brightness/contrast adjustments. Maybe try JPEG + RAW for comparison.

2c

Greg

-- hide signature --

Gidday
Greg

chillgreg's gear list:chillgreg's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX100 II
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,663Gear list
Like?
In reply to alextardif, Mar 17, 2013

Hi, since you use Lightroom here's what I would do.

• Develop Module: Lens Corrections->Color->Remove CA
  • Develop Module: Lens Corrections->Color->Defringe (magenta:7 cyan:7)

I've saved these settings as a preset, and set the preset to be applied on import as this doesn't seem to do much harm. I haven't seen CA or purple fringing in my images for a while.

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads