Does the SX40 HS really "combine" exposures?

Started Mar 15, 2013 | Questions
proef
Regular MemberPosts: 122Gear list
Like?
Does the SX40 HS really "combine" exposures?
Mar 15, 2013

I ran across the following on a web page in a list of features of the Canon Power Shot SX40 HS, under the title, “Product Description from the Manufacturer: “

"High Dynamic Range: The camera combines three different exposures to get one evenly lit image."

I am unable to find how to do this on my SX40 HS or in the SX40 HS manual. Yes, I can set the camera to take three different exposures of the same scene, but nowhere do I find how the “camera combines” them. This I have been doing in PP. Is this claim just Canon hyperbole, or have I been deficient in finding the proper instructions? Thanks for your help.

proef's gear list:proef's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,891Gear list
Like?
Re: Does the SX40 HS really "combine" exposures?
In reply to proef, Mar 15, 2013

The writer of the product description you talk about was probably confusing the SX40 with the SX50. The SX50 does in fact have an HDR setting that takes and combines 3 different EV exposures in camera. The SX40 does not. The SX40 combines 3 exposures in camera in the nightshot mode only. If the SX40 combines exposures any where else, I haven't seen or used such feature.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
proef
Regular MemberPosts: 122Gear list
Like?
In reply to VisionLight, Mar 15, 2013

Thanks, again, Vision. That's what I thought, but had to ask to make sure.

proef's gear list:proef's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
RolandRB
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to VisionLight, Jun 24, 2013

What puzzles me about HDR mode is the missed opportunity from Canon. Here is a camera with incredible image stabilisation and a great deal of clever processing done inside the camera to correct distortion and chromatic aberration.  The thing creates miracles. And yet with HDR mode nobody thought of hand-held HDR. Sure, it takes three shots at three different times but surely the processing inside the camera could have worked out if the image had moved slightly between the three shots and put these images back together correctly so that you would still get a sharp image if there was a small amount of shake.

grcolts
Senior MemberPosts: 2,104Gear list
Like?
In reply to VisionLight, Jun 24, 2013

VisionLight wrote:

The writer of the product description you talk about was probably confusing the SX40 with the SX50. The SX50 does in fact have an HDR setting that takes and combines 3 different EV exposures in camera. The SX40 does not. The SX40 combines 3 exposures in camera in the nightshot mode only. If the SX40 combines exposures any where else, I haven't seen or used such feature.

And, the hand held night-shot mode works really well too!

GR

-- hide signature --

grcolts
http://g_richardsphotography.fototime.com/welcome
http://www.blurb.com/user/store/grcolts

grcolts's gear list:grcolts's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Pentax K-50
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads