Nikon D7100 crop factor

Started Mar 15, 2013 | Discussions
Chrisp63
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Nikon D7100 crop factor
Mar 15, 2013

Hi,

One of the things I liked about the Olympus system was the sensor size and crop factor which effectively doubles the focal length, great for extending the reach of the lens and getting nice wildlife shots, not so good for landscapes. However since i purchased  my E-510 almost 5 years ago I like many others have been disappointed by the lack of investment in the DSLR market compared to the other major competitors, the lack of information seems to disappoint many dedicated Olympus users. I want to upgrade from my beginners E-510 to a better model and have been wondering whether to look elsewhere. I only have 4 lens the most expensive being the 50mm F2 macro which I really like. I have just noticed that Nikon have released the D7100 which as well as a 24mp sensor allows you to switch to a 1.3 crop mode (at 16 mp) which at a press of a button turns it into a 4/3rds camera.  Another plus is the lack of a low pass filter supposedly giving sharper images.

I really like my E-510  and the quality of the lens but feel that there is a lack of choice in the Olympus range for me to upgrade to (just the old E5) so have made the choice to get the D7100 rather than wait for a possible E7 that may never arrive.. Seems a shame, I really thought I would stay with Olympus and build up a collection of lens over time but looks like their lack of investment in the 4/3rds market has finally made me move.

Nikon D7100 Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
carizi
carizi MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,168Gear list
Like?
Good luck and enjoy what already fulfills your needs [NT]
In reply to Chrisp63, Mar 15, 2013

Carizi

carizi's gear list:carizi's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,175
Like?
Great timing

Chrisp63 wrote:

...made the choice to get the D7100 rather than wait for a possible E7 that may never arrive..

Is the itch that strong that a few more months is too long to wait? And that's after 5 years with E-510, never going for any of the releases after that? Shrug.

carizi
carizi MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,168Gear list
Like?
Re: Great timing
In reply to pris, Mar 15, 2013

Just like marriage and divorce!

LMAO...........

carizi's gear list:carizi's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
mick_g
Regular MemberPosts: 128Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D7100 crop factor

Good luck with your new gear.

I'm in a similar position- e510 owner with 5 lenses including Bigma. The new Nikon looks like a tempting option.

However I'm going to wait n see what Oly come up with if anything before jumping.

Cheers.

mick_g's gear list:mick_g's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +9 more
PBasepeterb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,439
Like?

What was your question?

-- hide signature --
alatchin
Contributing MemberPosts: 759Gear list
Like?

Of course, depending on what you shoot, the new m43rds cameras are superb.

-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

alatchin's gear list:alatchin's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL2 +20 more
OlyChamp
Senior MemberPosts: 4,380Gear list
Like?

Since coming to OSLRTalk I have been monitoring the Jumping Ship threads closely and there seems to be a common thread to them. Jump not because the lenses are better from competitors, but jump because the camera offers more and also Oly is slow putting out an E7 or equivalent.

But always in the counter arguments there is also one common theme. The Oly Lenses. Seems they are well and truly the best in all markets.

You say you have a number of Oly Lenses and can't wait for that elusive E7 anymore? Yet I bet in the past you have extolled the virtues of your Oly glass. I'm betting the major reason you held onto your E510 was not because you secretly wanted an E-x but you felt comfortable with the results of your glass coupled with a capable camera.

I too have an Evolt (E500) and three lenses, all of which I am very happy with. I know I have capable gear as my entries in challenges seem to tickle someones photographic taste, so I am happy with my equipment for now and my results. BUT if I had the money no doubt I'd upgrade to a better Oly system (E5 if no new E-x camera available as I know my lenses and I know Oly).

If you jump to the Nikon you have to relearn your camera and gear all over again and you lose the opportunity to use the best glass in the market.

Thane

-- hide signature --

The digital image is a dozen or so words
positioned carefully to paint a picture
that challenges the eye
and tricks the mind
into thinking, light is a title
and the palette a taste bud
worth tasting.

OlyChamp's gear list:OlyChamp's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,765Gear list
Like?
Thane... it really is the lenses
In reply to OlyChamp, Mar 15, 2013

I have used just about every lens system there is, and I would rank Zuiko lenses right up near the top. Right below Zeiss and Leica. Almost every ZD lens made should have a "L" on it, and a red ring around the barrel.

However, lenses are only half the story. You need a camera too, and Olympus has effectively abandoned the consumer DSLR market four years ago with their last consumer grade DSLR the E620. (I don't consider the $1,700 E5 as consumer grade, but even that is around three years old now).

On paper at least, the Nikon D7100 looks like a great camera. It has everything I would want in an E30 upgrade. So I understand why the OP would want one.

In my case, I am not only addicted to the Zuiko lenses, but I also love the Olympus jpegs, and no one else really comes close. I do most of my shooting as jpegs, so I really love the results I get. I gave up waiting for another Olympus DSLR, and am now happy to use an EPL2 and a Sony A55, along with my E30. If I feel the urge to upgrade, then it will probably be to an OM-D, because the MZuiko glass isn't bad at all. It just isn't quite as spectacular as the ZD lenses are.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony SLT-A55 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +7 more
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
Leaving so soon? 2 posts and a goodbye

You've posted a total of 3 times, including this goodbye, so-long thread.

The E-510 can easily be upgraded with something new or used from Olympus. For the price of a Nikon D7100 ($1200US) you could get a used E-5 and a fine HG zoom lens. The E-5 would be a major upgrade to your E-510 in creative controls, IQ and optical viewfinder size. For the price of a Nikon and one kit lens ($1600 or $1500 w/rebate) you could own a used E-5 and any two used HG lenses, like the 14-54 mkI and a 50-200 mkI, or two new lenses (but not a new 50-200 mm mkII lens).

I imagine if your best, most expensive lens is the 50 mm f/2 the other 3 you have are SG kit lenses. To replace all four lenses you already have, price the standard grade Nikon lenses of similar, equivalent focal length and f-stop. The Olympus 50 mm f/2 portrait and macro lens will be the hardest to replace. (Nikkor 60 mm ED f/2.8 macro?)

And really, any camera can be a 4:3 format with cropping in the post process. An Olympus can be a 3:2 by cropping off the top or bottom edges. But who would want to do that?

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
aspire
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?

Hi
Don't think so much n just buy a
Olympus E5 or E30 and u will be more happy
If u still have spare $$ , get a SHG14-35mm,
7-14mm, or 35-100mm
Enjoyed n u will be more happy with Olympus

Rmark
Regular MemberPosts: 454Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chrisp63, Mar 16, 2013

When the Nikon D7100 was announced I went thru the exact same thought process. I could get a high quality APS-c format and still get the 4/3 field of view benefits with the 1.3 crop factor. Plus Nikons are very nice cameras.

But.

I already own 2 Olympus bodies (E410, which I use for diving and clinical close-up in my dental practice,and an E-30 for everything else.) To replace the 5 ZD lenses and the Sigma 105 in nikon mount lenses would run into thousands of dollars.

Being honest , my own photographic skills have not exceeded what the E30 is capable of. So except for getting a really cool new toy, I'm not sure what the real benefit would be. Sure I would like better high iso performance, and less noise overall. But for what I would end up spending on new lenses I could take the E30 to the Galapagos., twice.

You could pick up a used E30 or even an E5 for a lot less than the cost of a D7100 plus replacing the lenses you already have.

Rmark's gear list:Rmark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
SirSeth
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,972Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rmark, Mar 16, 2013

Rmark wrote:

When the Nikon D7100 was announced I went thru the exact same thought process. I could get a high quality APS-c format and still get the 4/3 field of view benefits with the 1.3 crop factor. Plus Nikons are very nice cameras.

But.

I already own 2 Olympus bodies (E410, which I use for diving and clinical close-up in my dental practice,and an E-30 for everything else.) To replace the 5 ZD lenses and the Sigma 105 in nikon mount lenses would run into thousands of dollars.

Being honest , my own photographic skills have not exceeded what the E30 is capable of. So except for getting a really cool new toy, I'm not sure what the real benefit would be. Sure I would like better high iso performance, and less noise overall. But for what I would end up spending on new lenses I could take the E30 to the Galapagos., twice.

You could pick up a used E30 or even an E5 for a lot less than the cost of a D7100 plus replacing the lenses you already have.

Yep. Me too. I priced all my gear and looked into what it would take to get equal quality glass in Nikon mount. Though tempting, I would have to pour in about $2500 more than my equipment is worth to get as good of glass. Since you don't have great lenses, you might be happy with the many options in Nikon mount that are not as good as better Zuikos. IMO, better Zuikos and a much better body in Olympus own line up would be much less expensive for you. The E-30 and E-5 are much much better than the E-510, but I don't blame you for looking at the D7100. If you have the money don't skimp on lenses. Put in the cash and get a good lens or two.

Best,

Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,884Gear list
Like?
Three posts and your out? - Go and enjoy your choice

Here is yet another with just a couple of posts telling us he is going somewhere else. Go, and good bye.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-420 +22 more
bofo777
Contributing MemberPosts: 603Gear list
Like?

Chrisp63 wrote:

Hi,

One of the things I liked about the Olympus system was the sensor size and crop factor which effectively doubles the focal length, great for extending the reach of the lens and getting nice wildlife shots, not so good for landscapes. However since i purchased my E-510 almost 5 years ago I like many others have been disappointed by the lack of investment in the DSLR market compared to the other major competitors, the lack of information seems to disappoint many dedicated Olympus users. I want to upgrade from my beginners E-510 to a better model and have been wondering whether to look elsewhere. I only have 4 lens the most expensive being the 50mm F2 macro which I really like. I have just noticed that Nikon have released the D7100 which as well as a 24mp sensor allows you to switch to a 1.3 crop mode (at 16 mp) which at a press of a button turns it into a 4/3rds camera. Another plus is the lack of a low pass filter supposedly giving sharper images.

I really like my E-510 and the quality of the lens but feel that there is a lack of choice in the Olympus range for me to upgrade to (just the old E5) so have made the choice to get the D7100 rather than wait for a possible E7 that may never arrive.. Seems a shame, I really thought I would stay with Olympus and build up a collection of lens over time but looks like their lack of investment in the 4/3rds market has finally made me move.

Are we all supposed to start crying and feel sorry for having Olympus stuff??

bofo777's gear list:bofo777's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 35-100mm 1:2.0 +6 more
RichRMA
Contributing MemberPosts: 822Gear list
Like?

Doubling crop factors only matters when you can keep up in-terms of megapixels.  A 24 or 36mp FF is not doubled by a 16mp 4:3.  Lens may act like it has doubled its focal length on the camera, but the resolution reality doesn't support it.  When everyone had 10-12mp cameras, it could be used as a tangible comparison.

Something else regarding the D7100, the 4:3 crop mode.  I prefer 4:3 to 3:2 owing to not having to crop as much on average.  Pentax 16mp cameras (3:2) can provide 4:3 at 14mp.  About a 12% reduction. The Nikon has 24mp but drops to 16mp when converted to 4:3 mode.  I wonder why they reduce on top and bottom as well as on the sides to get 4:3? In any case, it's moot as the Nikon still has 16.

RichRMA's gear list:RichRMA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Pentax K-01 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D200
Chrisp63
Like?
Re: Leaving so soon? 2 posts and a goodbye
In reply to dave gaines, Mar 16, 2013

dave gaines wrote:

You've posted a total of 3 times, including this goodbye, so-long thread.

The E-510 can easily be upgraded with something new or used from Olympus. For the price of a Nikon D7100 ($1200US) you could get a used E-5 and a fine HG zoom lens. The E-5 would be a major upgrade to your E-510 in creative controls, IQ and optical viewfinder size. For the price of a Nikon and one kit lens ($1600 or $1500 w/rebate) you could own a used E-5 and any two used HG lenses, like the 14-54 mkI and a 50-200 mkI, or two new lenses (but not a new 50-200 mm mkII lens).

I imagine if your best, most expensive lens is the 50 mm f/2 the other 3 you have are SG kit lenses. To replace all four lenses you already have, price the standard grade Nikon lenses of similar, equivalent focal length and f-stop. The Olympus 50 mm f/2 portrait and macro lens will be the hardest to replace. (Nikkor 60 mm ED f/2.8 macro?)

And really, any camera can be a 4:3 format with cropping in the post process. An Olympus can be a 3:2 by cropping off the top or bottom edges. But who would want to do that?

-- hide signature --

Dave

Hi,

Despite only posting three times i have been an avid user of this site for a while now while i try and improve my skills. I have learnt  a huge amount from reading posts from people with much more experience than me and when i have a query i have always found the answer by using the search facility to look for other related posts. I don't think that posting few times makes the post you do put up less valid. This is just a hobby for me, at least until i get better at understanding the science of taking good photos and find the time and opportunity to do so. Since it is a hobby i cannot justify spending large amounts of money on high or super grade lens, it doesn't mean i don't appreciate a good lens. i have been using microscopes for my work for 25 years and use olympus, leitze and Leica lens all the time and appreciate the resolution that goes into making a good sharp image, in fact i get a bit obsessed with trying to make my images sharp.I have been bidding on ebay for the next two lens i wanted, the 50-200mm SWD lens and the 12-60mm SWD lens, though each time i have been outbid. The lack of choice means there is less opportunity in the second hand market to get a good lens for an affordable price.

My main concern is the increasing lack of choice and investment for oly slr users, less choice in camera bodies and lens as most 3rd party lens are not made anymore and get increasingly difficult t find on the second hand market. i notice a lot of users on this forum use 3rd party lens that are no longer available. Two additional things have also contributed to me wanting to change, i have a major birthday coming up ( in June)  which is an opportunity to spend a decent amount of money on some camera gear. so if i am going to change now is the time to take the plunge The second is that i have joined a local camera club as i want to benefit from learning from like minded people and in a club of 120 members i am the only one using the olympus format. While i don't mind being individual and i know oly have great lens, it does mean that i cannot borrow lens from other members to try and expand my horizons.I have also been avidly reading books by people like Scott Kelby and it is noticeable that there are no professional photographers that i can find that write books using the olympus system.

With regards to lens quality, i think the continuing investment by Canon, Nikon, Sigma and Tamron is leading to better quality lens at more affordable prices, when did olympus last make an SLR lens in the 4/3s mount?I get the impression that for olympus to survive in this market they are going to have to put their available resources into the micro 4/3s and pen market.

When i brought my E-510 i did a fair bit of research for an entry level SLR with good lens, now i am doing the same for going to the next stage and the Nikon D7100 looks to have most of what i want to develop my photography. I only have about $1200 invested in oly lens which have served me well over the last 5 years and have provided me with great shots of my family and places i have visited, so i think even if i do sell them it would have been a good investment. I want a new body and think that the D7100 is better than the E5 and costs less..

These are just my opinions and i will probably hang onto my E_510 even after i change and use it as a second camera for specific tasks like macro or portraits with the 50mm lens.

Chrisp63
Like?
Re: Three posts and your out? - Go and enjoy your choice
In reply to Roger Engelken, Mar 16, 2013

Roger Engelken wrote:

Here is yet another with just a couple of posts telling us he is going somewhere else. Go, and good bye.

Actually it was more of a comment on lack of investment in the olympus SLR system and also on two interesting things in the new flagship Nikon cameras, one that they make a 1.3 crop option allowing users to effectively have a 4/3s use and that they are doing away with the low pass filter to try and get improve on image sharpness, something oly lens users accept with the high quality of the lens. Perhaps didn't get that across to well. It will be interesting to see if this improved resolution with the 24mp sensor and lack of filter make the images as good as i think they will be.

I don't think the number of posts someone makes influences the contribution made in the post, most of what i have learnt on my oly system came from this forum and i am very grateful for the great contributions from other more prolific posters, my lack of experience has meant that i have not had much to contribute and when i do have a query i search the forum rather that post the question to avoid getting that 'this has been done to death before' response'

I do think that the lack of investment i the SLR market by olympus is a subject that concentrates many peoples attention on this forum, this is just another contribution to that topic and the comment that nikon seem to be encroaching on the 4/3rds market with this odd decision to include a crop factor..

There you go, i have almost doubled my number of posts in 5 minutes

Geo Wharton
Contributing MemberPosts: 792Gear list
Like?

The D7100 costs what you will get for a 5 year old E-510 with 2 kits, some other lens, and nice 50 f2.  And your concerned about the e-7 and higher grade lenses, and cant wait a few more months?

Humorous.

Geo Wharton's gear list:Geo Wharton's gear list
Olympus Stylus 770 SW Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +17 more
Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,765Gear list
Like?
Good luck with your D7100

You might as well hang onto your E510, because you won't get very much for it. Same goes for those two kit lenses you have. The 50mm f/2.0 is a really nice lens, but if I was in your place I would sell it to get $350 or so back, and buy a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 for $100... which is also a pretty nice portrait lens, but isn't a macro lens.

When I bought my E510 two lens kit almost 5 years ago, I paid $550 for it. I bought it because it was an incredibly good value, and I had enjoyed using my previous Olympus digital cameras (C4000, C7000). But a lot has changed in five years.

No one would ever call the E5 (or the imaginary E7) an "incredibly good value."

If you are looking for a good value today, you won't get it from Olympus 4/3.

If you are looking for the best technology, features and performance today, you won't get it from Olympus 4/3 (....although, you will find it in Olympus M4/3).

I think you made a smart move by buying the Nikon D7100, especially since you aren't that heavily invested in HG or SHG lenses. Since you didn't spend much going in, you won't be losing much when you get out. Your slight loss will be just the cost of using that wonderful camera for five years. Not a bad expense at all.

Four Thirds is effectively a dead system now, and even if there is one more body released, it will still be a dead system. There are around 30 wonderful lenses, but the best lenses aren't the cheapest ones. The system offers absolutely nothing for anyone on a budget. The E7, even with a new Sony sensor, will only make sense for people who already own $5,000 worth of HG and SHG lense.

After saying that, many folks will slam me for "being negative about Olympus," but I feel like I am just being honest and practical.

Despite this... I am still an Olympus fanboy, who uses an E30, an EPL2, and lusts after an OM-D.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony SLT-A55 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads