What should be done with cheats ? Part 5 :-(

Started Mar 15, 2013 | Discussions
Deleted pending purge
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197Gear list
Like?
What should be done with cheats ? Part 5 :-(
Mar 15, 2013

Part 4 is full and closed... while the problem is still alive and well...

In the meantime, the sleazy effects of the Voter #5A945563 have been removed from the Challenge "Look What They Made" . There are also some changes visible in one member's data.

Thanks, DPR, for your intervention. It's a good start, and also a sign that this attractive part of the site can be made cheat-proof. Thousands of honest photographers frequenting these pages deserve it, and by removing the uncouth, impolite and the morally and ethically challenged, the ambient becomes healthier.

l_objectif
Forum ProPosts: 17,513Gear list
Like?
OldArrow and DPR
In reply to Deleted pending purge, Mar 15, 2013

Thanks to Old Arrow and thanks to DPR!

There are people who are making a big effort to find cheaters and bring back trust to challenges. It is impossible to do anything positive without the help of DPR.... I always retained myself to criticize DPR that is our host. But sometimes, I am really very disappointed of them. After all, DPR would not be DPR without us, its members, and those who love this site!

So, please DPR, listen carefully to our problems and DO something when some ill-intentioned people are trying to destroy this site. They have already succeeded in replacing "Joy" by "suspicion" in challenges and only by banning them and listening to people like tasad, OldArrow, barb and others who are spending so much time to find them that you can save our favorite site!

We really need a serious monitoring of this forum!

l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D300
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wildbegonia
Regular MemberPosts: 452Gear list
Like?
Re: OldArrow and DPR
In reply to l_objectif, Mar 20, 2013

Thanks to Old Arrow and thanks to DPR!

There are people who are making a big effort to find cheaters and bring back trust to challenges. It is impossible to do anything positive without the help of DPR.... I always retained myself to criticize DPR that is our host. But sometimes, I am really very disappointed of them. After all, DPR would not be DPR without us, its members, and those who love this site!

So, please DPR, listen carefully to our problems and DO something when some ill-intentioned people are trying to destroy this site. They have already succeeded in replacing "Joy" by "suspicion" in challenges and only by banning them and listening to people like tasad, OldArrow, barb and others who are spending so much time to find them that you can save our favorite site!

We really need a serious monitoring of this forum!

I agree with you on the issue of a forum monitor, I think I had mentioned it in the past too, but it seems that this forum on challenges has not the traffic volume that justifies it. A monitor is needed to keep comments within the forum subject (challenges) and clean of uncivilized and sheer rude comments. --

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in" Leonard Cohen

tasad
Regular MemberPosts: 351
Like?
Re: What should be done with cheats ? Part 5 :-(
In reply to Deleted pending purge, Apr 5, 2013

OldArrow wrote:

Part 4 is full and closed... while the problem is still alive and well...

(....)

How funny/sad is this ?  :

Question -  I_objectif : " How many IDs do you have !...? "

Answer   -  Jomagne  : " just one sir . why sir ? "

...and Jomange 's  " just one "  ID"s :

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/6596924266/photos/1631410/img_8028

...and :

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/6699190170/photos/1418688/img_8028

... and :

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/6596924266/photos/1623247/img_7991

...and :

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/6699190170/photos/1418630/img_7991

..and :

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/39965634

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3398959?page=2

Deleted pending purge
Like?
In reply to tasad, Apr 5, 2013

That's why the character was kicked out of my Challenge.

There should be some virtual rail, tar and feathers here somewhere handy. So many funny people wanting to be The First, and devil take self-respect.

-- hide signature --

Fil

tasad
Like?
In reply to tasad, Apr 5, 2013

Thanks OldArrow , blosshapperter , vqeen , Kokeen4231  for DQ 's   entries of

Charliemagne Unggay  :  Jomagne aka engameilrahC  ...

http://www.pixoto.com/charlie777

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/6596924266

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/6699190170

Pat Curley
Regular MemberPosts: 309
Like?
In reply to Deleted pending purge, Apr 9, 2013

The challenge ‘Depressing’(Host: MrScorpio), which has now closed for entries, has a capture date rule – images must be captured on or after 26 March 2013.

The following nine entries are in breach of this rule, as the evidence of date manipulation in each case shows.  I have identified seven of the entrants.

The following two entries have had their EXIF data removed, for whatever reason.  I have identified these two entrants.

I will send a private message to the host.  If he does not act, could I ask, as a matter of fairness to those who entered valid images (and to those with the integrity not to enter invalid images) that members who are interested in maintaining the integrity of the challenge system please take the time to vote 0.5 for each of the ineligible entries?   Please also vote as you see fit for all the other entries, including those from which the EXIF data has been removed (for whatever reason!)

Those who are maintaining lists of cheats may wish to take note.

PC

Pat Curley
Like?
In reply to Pat Curley, Apr 9, 2013

As mentioned in my post earlier today, I sent a private message to the host of the ‘Depressing’ challenge, MrScorpio.   I note that all except one of the images to which I drew attention have ‘disappeared’ from the challenge, presumably following disqualification.

That’s what I call a rapid response!

l_objectif
Forum ProPosts: 17,513Gear list
Like?

Pat Curley wrote:

As mentioned in my post earlier today, I sent a private message to the host of the ‘Depressing’ challenge, MrScorpio.   I note that all except one of the images to which I drew attention have ‘disappeared’ from the challenge, presumably following disqualification.

Pat, this is a fact that we have very serious issues with challenges  and the only way to fix these problems is DPR getting seriously involved; but they don't! We havre problems with hosts who don't follow their own rules and more importantly, they don't  DQ the known cheaters. DPR also has the responsibility of warning and eventually firing bad hosts; and banning cheaters...... But nobody seems to care! ...

l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D300
Deleted pending purge
Like?
In reply to l_objectif, Apr 9, 2013

Pat Curley wrote:

Good work, and the least the responsible hosts can do is to note the new cheaters (along with the previusly found ones), and BAN them from their challenges. So please help exterminate the dishonest people from the company of photographers.

I'm also urging all the hosts who find that this responsibility is too much work for their free time, or if they are saturated with the job... of if they;re simply not able to understand the need for a fair play... Please quit hosting for a while, and at least help restricting the playfield of dishonest "photographers". A job not worth doing right is not worth doing at all.

-- hide signature --

Fil

tasad
Like?

Thanks Pat !  Thanks MrScorpio !

The challenge still have a few entries  with " modified " dates :

Pat Curley
Like?
In reply to tasad, Apr 9, 2013

Hi Tasad,

Thanks!   I don't know how I missed those ones.   I have PM'd MrScorpio, just in case he is not following the thread.

Regards,

Pat

tasad
Like?

Pat Curley wrote:

Hi Tasad,

Thanks!   I don't know how I missed those ones.   I have PM'd MrScorpio, just in case he is not following the thread.

Regards,

Pat

Thanks Pat  !

I've complained - with the  link to the thread -  under the entries ...

tasad
Like?
In reply to tasad, Apr 14, 2013

So ,  Jomagne  has "  won  " again :

http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=725565&View=Results&Rows=4

Before the challenge voting phase starts , I have complained (about the entry ) to the challenge's host .  I did not get any response ...

Skylane
Contributing MemberPosts: 647
Like?
In reply to tasad, Apr 14, 2013

Well it is a really nice shot.

-- hide signature --

Charlie

tasad
Like?
In reply to tasad, Apr 20, 2013

n/t

tasad
Like?
tasad
Like?

...  continue ..

merops
Senior MemberPosts: 1,254
Like?

tasad: I recognised a name in your post: it is someone who has just won a challenge with a cr@ppy image, and has a distribution of votes centred around 2.5 with a big peak at 5:

http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=732569&View=Results&Rows=4

I have to say that I find someone who hosts a challenge and creates false IDs in order to enter it deeply sad and rather disturbing.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads