* New 24 MP APS-C sensor with 1/2 stop improvement and increased dynamic range

* 3.8 million dot EVF

* Touchscreen

* Hybrid Contrast and Phase Detection AF

* Tri Navi design reviewed

* Improved focus peaking with choice of colors

* Wi-Fi

* No built-in GPS

* Same size and form factor of the current NEX-7 but with a minor design changes

* Announcement will probably be in early April, released in May

Now it's start to get interesting.

Let us know if you have additional info.

Tom

Tom Paull's gear list:Tom Paull's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony a6000 RX100 III Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Carlgo
Contributing MemberPosts: 532
Like?
Re: Sony NEX-7N Rumored Specs, Due Next Month
In reply to Tom Paull, Mar 15, 2013

Worthwhile updates for sure, but not enough to compel me to upgrade my present N-7 unless it is worth a lot used and the upgrade is then not so expensive. People just getting into the system will be happy though as it will be very nice.

Maybe I will upgrade if and when the FF comes out, but that will be quite an investment with the new lenses required.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 12,894Gear list
Like?

Do you have a link for these rumors, please?

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
wll
wll
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?
In reply to captura, Mar 15, 2013

captura wrote:

Do you have a link for these rumors, please?

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-some-more-nex-7n-info-in-stock-in-may/

wll

DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,790Gear list
Like?

Whereas it all sounds great (esp. the 1/2-stop ISO performance improvement), what will determine if I will add this as my second NEX body is if they have solved the wide-angle/less-telecentric lens color shifting issue.

It was the primary reason I went with the 5N over the 7, even though the latter had many desirable features I would've paid for (and mostly paid for given that I paid full-pop for the FDA-EV1S).

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +16 more
blakninja
Regular MemberPosts: 129
Like?
In reply to DtEW, Mar 15, 2013

Damn I just got the NEX-6..

Alright, let's wait for FF then

Brian_Downunda
Regular MemberPosts: 394
Like?
In reply to DtEW, Mar 15, 2013

DtEW wrote:

what will determine if I will add this as my second NEX body is if they have solved the wide-angle/less-telecentric lens color shifting issue.  It was the primary reason I went with the 5N over the 7, even though the latter had many desirable features I would've paid for (and mostly paid for given that I paid full-pop for the FDA-EV1S).

And why I'm thinking of switching to an NEX-6, given that I don't feel I really need 24Mpx.  The issue of UWA colour shift is a serious negative for me and it will be fascinating to see if they have managed to solve it in the 7n.

B.

cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
In reply to Brian_Downunda, Mar 15, 2013

If they don't solve the color-shift/border softness issues with the 7n, or at least bring it down to the level of the 5n (remember, even the "corrected" NEX cameras have problems with really wide non-retrofocal glass like the CV 12 and 15mm), I'm going to start to wonder if Sony's engineers live and work in a cave somewhere, completely cut off from the outside world. They'd probably still be selling plenty of NEX-7s at the launch price if that problem hadn't existed!

Thankfully I'm not a UWA guy. I'm not entirely averse to the idea of picking up a second used 7 body when the prices drop after the announcement 

neonexxer
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tom Paull, Mar 16, 2013

All I'd like to see in a 7N is improved AF, fixed WA issues, option for AutoISO in M, and a standard hotshoe.  Standardizing the interface with that of the A-mount cousins would be icing on the cake (mainly so I don't have to readjust so much switching between it and my RX100, which shares a very similar interface with the SLTs).  Don't need a better viewfinder, especially if it brings up the price.  Apps functionality would be unnecessary if some of those features took place of less useful ones already taking up room in program ROM.  A couple of useful apps, that *should* be standard, would be timelapse, pro bracketing.  Happy to use Eye-Fi cards in place of inbuilt WIFI transfer.

neonexxer's gear list:neonexxer's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A37 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +10 more
losangeles
Contributing MemberPosts: 655Gear list
Like?
In reply to neonexxer, Mar 16, 2013

The upgrades distill down to everything that's already in the NEX-6 except for three things: higher resolution sensor which most won't benefit from (worse high-ISO performance), higher resolution EVF, and touch screen (which Sony last year described as a bad idea on a non-P&S level camera, to justify the omission on the NEX-6).

So if you believe Sony's philosophy the only true improvement is the higher resolution EVF...;-)

Of course I thought all the time that the argument against the touch screen was BS.

Tom Paull
Regular MemberPosts: 311Gear list
Like?
In reply to losangeles, Mar 16, 2013
 Tom Paull's gear list:Tom Paull's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony a6000 RX100 III Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
PhotonZ
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to Tom Paull, Mar 16, 2013

I hope the tri-nav stays. Its one of the the reasons I prefer to use my NEX-7 over my 6. The body texturing of the 6 is nice but I prefer the flat black metal finish of the 7. The movie button could be placed in a better location on both cams, maybe that will change with the 7N as well as the location of the SD card slot.

I have issues with how the rear LCD is configured. Can Sony eliminate the dumb logo taking up space on the back LCD? The camera owner already knows its a Sony and if they forget they can check the front. The back LCD also needs to be fullscreen, especially if a touch interface is to be considered. There is no reason to have a huge black border on the right. Those button options can be overlayed on the LiveView image.

When using the EVF, the numbers for ISO, stop and exposure can be difficult to see; I hope they overlay those changes on the screen similar to how it is done on the RX100.

The menu system needs to be updated to accommodate use via touch, button and dial interfaces and we need to be able to select one or the other, and both if desired. With that said, Sony should consider discarding the current NEX menu system and look to adopting the menu system from the Alpha SLT line. That interface is slightly better in my opinion and it will give the camera systems some semblance of DNA or consistent UI design for people who have both a NEX and SLT.

The last thing on my laundry list is improved BIONZ processor performance when shooting with HDR or Anti Motion Blur mode.

Nush
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
Mode dial?
In reply to PhotonZ, Mar 16, 2013

Just some wishful thinking, what do you think the chances are that a mode dial will be included on top of the tri navi?

Steven-T
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,075Gear list
Like?
In reply to neonexxer, Mar 16, 2013

neonexxer wrote:

All I'd like to see in a 7N is improved AF, fixed WA issues, option for AutoISO in M, and a standard hotshoe.

Standard hotshoe is a piece of cake. AutoISO/M is no brainer (not important to me).

Well, if there is no color issue with my CV12 (the mother of all lenses of color shift and smearing), I will get one in a heart beat.  Anyone want to bet a MacDonald lunch?

Steven

Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
MTip
Regular MemberPosts: 140
Like?
AA filter?
In reply to Nush, Mar 16, 2013

It there a possibility the 7n will have no AA filter like the Nikon D7100?  That would make it a beautiful compact landscape tool for my use.

I'm also curious as to how good the video will be compared to the panasonic gh3.  Not crucial but it would be a nice bonus.  I considered picking up a  micro 4/3 system but the nex images look better to me.

T

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads