Forum ProPosts: 12,499
Like?
Re: Reviews, hands-on, samples of HS50 Part V
In reply to jcmarfilph, Mar 16, 2013

jcmarfilph wrote:

Sagans Hus wrote:

Nightwings wrote:

Sagans Hus wrote:

In my opinion, it is about the Fujifilm HS50 and what it performs relative to similar cameras, so you can make a decision about which camera to buy.
your friend
/ Kim

You speak with great passion and conviction about your panasonic. I know of at least one other that's equally passionate who's conspicuously absent. What's lacking in you FZ200 AND the FZ150 in my opinion, is the lack of tonal depth. It's like I'm looking at a 4 bit photo. While the shots ARE sharp and crisp.... they lack tonal depth (in my opinion). It's as if the processing engines skip several shades of a particular color when going from bright to the shadows. ... again... my opinion. While I critique the HS series for lack of tack sharp glass ... a lot can be said about how well they produce tones... and tone graduations.

My 2 cents.

-- hide signature --

Nikon AF - One Shot ..... One Kill

What do you think is missing here?
your friend
/ Kim

Are you on planet Uranus? Sky is cyan kinda like color of methane and some mix of hydrocarbons lol.

-=[ Joms ]=-

Definitely some white balance issues here, lots of shade in the foreground, it would be tough to be sure whether this looked real no matter how it was tweaked. But it was posted as an example photo and it's fair game for picking apart.

-- hide signature --

You don't TAKE a photo, you MAKE a photo.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 12,499
Like?
In reply to tom1234567, Mar 16, 2013

tom1234567 wrote:

PerH wrote:

What is this thread about? I think it has got out of hand completely. As I see it, it's a struggle between Fuji HS50 vs Panny FZ200. Both cameras have their advantages and shortcomings. Right now it seems to be very low and childish level here ..... just my opinion.....

/PerH

It is a Sat afternoon just a bit of fun,

I think we can not be serious all the time,

chill out let your hair down if you have any LOL

There is a child in all of us, except the high and mighty ones just my opinion.....?????<<<<:::@@''+)*%£$!!!!!!!????? LOL

Tom G

I think I'm going to go into the business of selling pennants, beanies and insignia sweaters.

painterdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,784Gear list
Like?
In reply to Midwest, Mar 16, 2013

balance issues eh ??..Well thats a trivial deal compared to whats up Sony's new 50X zoomer..check this out ..and remember this shot  was traken at ISO 80 I believe ..wooooo..Houston we have a problem.

http://forums.dpreview.com/files/t/13eddc766cee408a94227894ff56e57f

all the best

g

http://skylightvistas.weebly.com/index.html

painterdude's gear list:painterdude's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D90 Nikon D800E
tom1234567
Regular MemberPosts: 258Gear list
Like?

Midwest wrote:

tom1234567 wrote:

PerH wrote:

What is this thread about? I think it has got out of hand completely. As I see it, it's a struggle between Fuji HS50 vs Panny FZ200. Both cameras have their advantages and shortcomings. Right now it seems to be very low and childish level here ..... just my opinion.....

/PerH

It is a Sat afternoon just a bit of fun,

I think we can not be serious all the time,

chill out let your hair down if you have any LOL

There is a child in all of us, except the high and mighty ones just my opinion.....?????<<<<:::@@''+)*%£$!!!!!!!????? LOL

Tom G

I think I'm going to go into the business of selling pennants, beanies and insignia sweaters.

.I Thought that's what you already do????????????????????

selling pennants, beanies and insignia sweaters

-- hide signature --

I'm a 30yr old trapped in a 62yr old body

tom1234567's gear list:tom1234567's gear list
Pentax K-3
Sagans Hus
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?

Midwest wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Sagans Hus wrote:

Nightwings wrote:

Sagans Hus wrote:

In my opinion, it is about the Fujifilm HS50 and what it performs relative to similar cameras, so you can make a decision about which camera to buy.
your friend
/ Kim

You speak with great passion and conviction about your panasonic. I know of at least one other that's equally passionate who's conspicuously absent. What's lacking in you FZ200 AND the FZ150 in my opinion, is the lack of tonal depth. It's like I'm looking at a 4 bit photo. While the shots ARE sharp and crisp.... they lack tonal depth (in my opinion). It's as if the processing engines skip several shades of a particular color when going from bright to the shadows. ... again... my opinion. While I critique the HS series for lack of tack sharp glass ... a lot can be said about how well they produce tones... and tone graduations.

My 2 cents.

-- hide signature --

Nikon AF - One Shot ..... One Kill

What do you think is missing here?
your friend
/ Kim

Are you on planet Uranus? Sky is cyan kinda like color of methane and some mix of hydrocarbons lol.

-=[ Joms ]=-

Definitely some white balance issues here, lots of shade in the foreground, it would be tough to be sure whether this looked real no matter how it was tweaked. But it was posted as an example photo and it's fair game for picking apart.

-- hide signature --

You don't TAKE a photo, you MAKE a photo.

I think the camera has handled the very awkward light, color and shadow in a very convincing way, you can see details in both shadow and sunlight and the image is very sharp.
your friend
/ Kim

Sagans Hus's gear list:Sagans Hus's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Alpha NEX-5
Sagans Hus
Like?
In reply to Sagans Hus, Mar 16, 2013

Another example.
your friend
/ Kim

Tim39
Senior MemberPosts: 2,853
Like?
In reply to alexisgreat, Mar 17, 2013

alexisgreat wrote:

We should actually be comparing cameras of equivalent long range focal lengths- that is, this should be about Fuji HS50 vs Canon HX50 vs Nikon P510/520 vs Sony HX300. The Panny and X-S1 shouldn't be considered in the same category.

-- hide signature --

http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

There you go again...with all that rationality.  Such an approach will never fly here.

-- hide signature --

Tim

Sagans Hus
Like?
In reply to Tim39, Mar 17, 2013

It's up to each one to determine if there is enough 24x zoom and the ability to TC or 40x to 50x zoom is a must.
As I see it outweighs the strength of aperture f/2.8 more than well the shorter zoom.
your friend
/ Kim

alexisgreat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,170Gear list
Like?
Re: For Michi and others who have the HS50
In reply to PAUL TILL, Mar 17, 2013

Could you kindly test L size DR 400 vs M size DR 400 with the HS50, now with the HS20 I have been getting consistently better highlight retention with L size DR 400 rather than the latter, more commonly acclaimed M size DR 400. Also, as far as higher ISO differences between the two resolutions, I know people say M size is better, but when I resize both M and L size to 1600 x 1200 I cant see a difference, even at ISO 3200- they look almost exactly alike, it's just that L size seems to retain highlights better than M size for some reason (at DR 400). NR should be set to Low and Sharpening to Soft.

Basically I did L size DR 400 ISO 3200 vs M size DR 400 ISO 3200 NR Low Sharpening Soft and found that L size DR 400 held highlights better and there was virtually no noise difference when both were resized to 1600 x 1200 (which matches the dot pitch of 7.5 x 10 prints.)

-- hide signature --

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Olympus E-520
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,329Gear list
Like?
Re: For Michi and others who have the HS50
In reply to alexisgreat, Mar 17, 2013

alexisgreat wrote:

Could you kindly test L size DR 400 vs M size DR 400 with the HS50, now with the HS20 I have been getting consistently better highlight retention with L size DR 400 rather than the latter, more commonly acclaimed M size DR 400. Also, as far as higher ISO differences between the two resolutions, I know people say M size is better, but when I resize both M and L size to 1600 x 1200 I cant see a difference, even at ISO 3200- they look almost exactly alike, it's just that L size seems to retain highlights better than M size for some reason (at DR 400). NR should be set to Low and Sharpening to Soft.

Basically I did L size DR 400 ISO 3200 vs M size DR 400 ISO 3200 NR Low Sharpening Soft and found that L size DR 400 held highlights better and there was virtually no noise difference when both were resized to 1600 x 1200 (which matches the dot pitch of 7.5 x 10 prints.)

-- hide signature --

There you go Alex. One reason why I don't consider myself EXR lunatic lol.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads