Wistful dog portrait with Konica 50 1.4

Started Mar 15, 2013 | Discussions
SimonOL
Contributing MemberPosts: 820Gear list
Like?
Wistful dog portrait with Konica 50 1.4
Mar 15, 2013

Experimenting with low light shallow DOF - not something I normally do so any comments or tips would be appreciated

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
bobmandwendyv
Contributing MemberPosts: 539
Like?
Re: Wistful dog portrait with Konica 50 1.4
In reply to SimonOL, Mar 15, 2013

First, get the dog to sit still..............

......and don't get an Irish Setter.

Good luck,

Bob

(Very nice photo BTW)

Mike the Irish Setter looking vaguely wistful ......and still

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bokehmon Trainer
Forum MemberPosts: 96
Like?
In reply to bobmandwendyv, Mar 15, 2013

Here's a photo of my Tora Inu.  How are you liking the 1.4?  That is a lens that I'm seriously considering.  Which adapter did you use?

SimonOL
Like?
In reply to bobmandwendyv, Mar 15, 2013

bobmandwendyv wrote:

First, get the dog to sit still..............

......and don't get an Irish Setter.

Good luck,

Bob

(Very nice photo BTW)

Nice setter!

Dogs do seem to have a habit of moving just as you press the shutter inevitably leading to a few missed shots. They're good subjects for learning to make quick focusing adjustments 

I really like the Konica 50mm 1.4. Build quality, sharpness and bokeh all seem very good to me, but I have no other similar lenses to compare it to. It is not compact or lightweight. Rumour has it that the 50mm f/1.7 is sharper. Both lenses seem good value.

Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,728Gear list
Like?

SimonOL wrote:

Experimenting with low light shallow DOF - not something I normally do so any comments or tips would be appreciated

Nice dog (and shot)!

I like the composition and the shallow DOF, but only the dog's eye is in focus. The nose, ear, collar, etc. are all outside the DOF area.

I think that the image would look better at 50/1.8 or even 50/2.2, or keep 50/1.4 but increase the distance - it would crispen the subject a little, while still keeping the background blurred. There is a lot of detail in the dog's head that will make a sharper headshot more interesting.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
SimonOL
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Mar 15, 2013

blue_skies wrote:

SimonOL wrote:

Nice dog (and shot)!

I like the composition and the shallow DOF, but only the dog's eye is in focus. The nose, ear, collar, etc. are all outside the DOF area.

I think that the image would look better at 50/1.8 or even 50/2.2, or keep 50/1.4 but increase the distance - it would crispen the subject a little, while still keeping the background blurred. There is a lot of detail in the dog's head that will make a sharper headshot more interesting.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Thanks for the tips! That's the problem with f/1.4, although I was quite happy (and a little surprised) at how well focused the nose was considering I was focusing on the eye.

I took another from slightly further back - more of the dog in focus, but the expression wasn't so good...

flint-hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,215
Like?

This is a high-quality animal portrait.  Very nice work.   I like both the depth of field and placement of the plane of focus.  I wouldn't suggest any changes.   The lens is doing very well wide open.  I looked at the image in original size and you could print it big.

SimonOL
Like?
In reply to flint-hill, Mar 15, 2013

flint-hill wrote:

This is a high-quality animal portrait. Very nice work. I like both the depth of field and placement of the plane of focus. I wouldn't suggest any changes. The lens is doing very well wide open. I looked at the image in original size and you could print it big.

Thank you for your positive comments - glad you like it

Peter Tho
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?

Some dogs are easier to train to sit still than others!

SimonOL
Like?
In reply to Peter Tho, Mar 15, 2013

Peter Tho wrote:

Some dogs are easier to train to sit still than others!

Doesn't look very happy about the situation! Nice photo

Is your lens another fast 50?

daddyman
Regular MemberPosts: 133Gear list
Like?
In reply to SimonOL, Mar 16, 2013

I have the 1.4 and the 1.7 and I find the 1.7 to be a tad sharper at wider apertures. I see no difference by f8.

Mike

daddyman's gear list:daddyman's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Peter Tho
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
In reply to SimonOL, Mar 16, 2013

Doesn't look very happy about the situation!  - That's her thoughtful look

Is your lens another fast 50? - I was trying out my new Voightlander 40mm 1.4 in a dark gloomy kitchen last night.  I have never had anything like this much fun with a camera before (5N)!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads