Wireless Remote Control for D800?
Mar 15, 2013

After some research I have narrowed it down to two options:

1) Vello Wireless ShutterBoss Timer Remote
2) RFN-4s Wireless Remote Shutter Release
Which one would you go for and why?
Best Regards.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
drifter605
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?
Re: Wireless Remote Control for D800?
In reply to asultan, Mar 15, 2013

I would like to try both but I prefer the RFN-4s as it doesn't take up the hotshoe & you only need to stock AAA batteries, I think it is also quite neat!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Testing123
Regular MemberPosts: 335Gear list
Like?

Right now, B&H Photo is having a 20% off sale on Vello Shutterboss remotes if that helps.

Regards,

Allen

Testing123's gear list:Testing123's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +1 more
asultan
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?
In reply to Testing123, Mar 15, 2013

I saw the sale offer as well, but amazon is selling the RFN-4S for $70 anyway. But one thing I have noticed is that all the reviews have said that it is a camera trigger, but nobody has said anything about other functions such as delay release function, multiple exposure mode, or interval shooting options, all of which are present in the vello shutterboss. I assume its because the rfn 4s doesn't have these functions (it does have a bulb mode function though) and simply fires the camera.

tryguy
Regular MemberPosts: 302
Like?

Might want to also check out "Triggertrap" ... depending on what you are doing, this might be a cheaper option.

Testing123
Regular MemberPosts: 335Gear list
Like?

asultan wrote:

But one thing I have noticed is that all the reviews have said that it is a camera trigger, but nobody has said anything about other functions such as delay release function, multiple exposure mode, or interval shooting options, all of which are present in the vello shutterboss. I assume its because the rfn 4s doesn't have these functions (it does have a bulb mode function though) and simply fires the camera.

Correct. However, someone will undoubtedly point out that you can do most or all of what you want with the camera itself and then fire the remote.

I agree, but I also agree that it might be easier and/or quicker to do with a remote (not sure because I haven't tried).

Here's a Youtube video of Ben Jacobsen reviewing the Vello Shutterboss. In it, he does talk about how he finds it easier to use the remote then to use Nikon's menu system: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thqy59MGcZs

Hope that helps...

Allen

Testing123's gear list:Testing123's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +1 more
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,683
Like?
RFN-4s with D800E

I leave the RFN-4s on my D800E almost all of the time. The exception would be when I want to use a GPS unit or a robotic device connected to the 10-pin connector.

Previously, I bought a Pixel Pro RW-211: 100M Wireless Shutter Remote for $22. It works fine, but is bulky and takes up the flash shoe.

Never used the ShutterBoss, but I prefer to set interval shots on the camera because I don't do it enough to remember the procedure on a remote.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Captain Hook
Senior MemberPosts: 1,256
Like?
asultan
Like?
In reply to Testing123, Mar 15, 2013

So if i set up a bracketing sequence, say 9 shots, and then press the button on the rfn-4s once, it will fire all 9 shots? With the vello in bulb mode, do we have to hold the remote button for the entire duration or do we press once to open shutter and a second time to close?

asultan
Like?

Ok i was just looking at the video, and another question is that the max number of shots that can be taken is 399. Is that also true of the wireless version (the video is of the wired version) Isnt that a little short for timelapse sequences?

axcentphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 851Gear list
Like?
In reply to Captain Hook, Mar 15, 2013

Per Robin's suggestion, I looked into the RFN-4s on Amazon and immediately ordered it. Still have two Pocket Wizard MultiMax which I seldom use anymore. The RFN-4s is very small, stays on my D800 's 10 pin, has a great range and a small commander. Only wish it could start/stop video. Brent

axcentphoto's gear list:axcentphoto's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads