P7700's screen upside down?

Started Mar 15, 2013 | Discussions
eyalg
Regular MemberPosts: 257
Like?
P7700's screen upside down?
Mar 15, 2013

If I flip open the lcd screen of the P7700 while turning it on,
then either the image is upside down, or flipped left to right
including the text on the screen. Funny to the point of being sad.
Reopening the screen or turning the camera off and on solves this.

Has anyone encountered or heard of this glitch?

Thanks,
-eyalg


Nikon Coolpix P7700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
forestgreen
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
Re: P7700's screen upside down?
In reply to eyalg, Mar 15, 2013

No, my P7700 camera does not behave like this.

I have Firmware version 1.00.

 forestgreen's gear list:forestgreen's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Steinhansel
Regular MemberPosts: 241Gear list
Like?
Re: P7700's screen upside down?
In reply to eyalg, Mar 15, 2013

This is a strange phenomenon indeed.  Sad?  I don't know about that.

If you wish to avoid this sadness, don't engage in that behavior.

But more to the point, no, my P7700 doesn't do that, no matter how hard I try.

 Steinhansel's gear list:Steinhansel's gear list
Nikon D5100 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
eyalg
Regular MemberPosts: 257
Like?
Re: P7700's screen upside down?
In reply to Steinhansel, Mar 15, 2013

For a camera manufactured by an esteemed company
and positioned at the high end of the market, it's sad.

Regarding the avoidance of such behaviour, well, I can,
but whenever I want to turn it on and start shooting
as fast as possible, I must turn the screen while turning
the camera on. No two ways about that.

Thanks,

-eyalg

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tomjar
Regular MemberPosts: 468
Like?
Re: P7700's screen upside down?
In reply to eyalg, Mar 15, 2013

You mean you press the on/off button first and only then start opening the screen while still holding the on/off button?

Does it also happen if you open the screen first (by about 30-45 degrees is enough) and only then turn it on? That's the way I do it and I have never experienced what you're describing.

Kind regards, T.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
eyalg
Regular MemberPosts: 257
Like?
Re: P7700's screen upside down?
In reply to tomjar, Mar 15, 2013

That's not what I did at first, but now I see that it also invokes the flipped screen.
In fact, I don't have to hold down the on/off button while I open the screen -
I open it a bit (30-40 degrees like you said), click the on button shortly, and at
the same time turn the screen fully so that it's on the camera's back again.

And it's flipped. Sometimes not upside down but just mirrored:

Thanks,

-eyalg

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Steinhansel
Regular MemberPosts: 241Gear list
Like?
Re: P7700's screen upside down?
In reply to eyalg, Mar 15, 2013

I tried to reproduce the effect, as you described, and after 20 tries, could not do it

Strange, very strange.

 Steinhansel's gear list:Steinhansel's gear list
Nikon D5100 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,316
Like?
P7700's screen mirror imaged.
In reply to eyalg, Mar 15, 2013

eyalg wrote:

That's not what I did at first, but now I see that it also invokes the flipped screen.
In fact, I don't have to hold down the on/off button while I open the screen -
I open it a bit (30-40 degrees like you said), click the on button shortly, and at
the same time turn the screen fully so that it's on the camera's back again.

And it's flipped. Sometimes not upside down but just mirrored ...

That happened to me last December several months after I bought my P7700. I recall pressing the power button as I simultaneously was opening and twisting the display. I'm able to continue engaging in the "sad" behavior because as much as I've tried, I've never been able to duplicate the reversed display, so I enjoy being able to take pictures just a little more quickly after powering on the P7700. I reported this to Nikon the same day but was told that there was no record of this type of behavior. Of course this doesn't mean that it hadn't previously been reported, just that if it had been reported it may not have been recorded as an "issue".

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joseph Broz
Regular MemberPosts: 338Gear list
Like?
Re: P7700's screen upside down?
In reply to eyalg, Mar 15, 2013

My Nikon P7700 has not done this but your pictures prove this can happen.  Please send these photos to Nikon tech support.

 Joseph Broz's gear list:Joseph Broz's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P5100 Nikon Coolpix 5400 Canon PowerShot SX210 IS Nikon Coolpix P7100 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mallbuedel
Contributing MemberPosts: 921Gear list
Like?
Re: Fully articulating screen
In reply to eyalg, Mar 15, 2013

Sorry to hear about your issues...

but what is a fully articulating screen good for? I can flip the screen of my P7100 up and down and I use ithis possibility very often.

Do I understand it right that you have to turn the whole screen sytem horizontally  sidewards until you can take a shot or flip the screen down  or up?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,316
Like?
Articulating screen vs twist/swivel screen
In reply to mallbuedel, Mar 15, 2013

mallbuedel wrote:

Sorry to hear about your issues...

but what is a fully articulating screen good for? I can flip the screen of my P7100 up and down and I use ithis possibility very often.

Do I understand it right that you have to turn the whole screen sytem horizontally sidewards until you can take a shot or flip the screen down or up?

No, unless you really want to use the screen in that position. Open the screen by swiveling it to the left and you can use it, but now the screen is way to the left of the camera. If you then twist/rotate it vertically 180 degrees (around a horizontal axis if the camera is in the usual landscape orientation) the screen (still to the left of the camera) is now facing forward, and people that are in the camera's frame can see their tiny images in the display. If you now swivel the screen to the right 180 degrees, it is back in place where it can be used just like a fixed, non-articulating, non-twist/swivel display. So while it can't be used exactly as an articulating display can, it's more flexible in how it can be used, and when you're no longer using the camera you can swivel, rotate and swivel it again, and now the display is facing inward against the camera, protected against bumps and dings.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tomjar
Regular MemberPosts: 468
Like?
Re: P7700's screen upside down?
In reply to eyalg, Mar 15, 2013

That's really weird. I tried to reproduce it on my camera - it does not happen no matter what I do. I hope Nikon will fix it for you (or replace the camera).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,316
Like?
Re: P7700's screen upside down?
In reply to tomjar, Mar 15, 2013

tomjar wrote:

That's really weird. I tried to reproduce it on my camera - it does not happen no matter what I do. I hope Nikon will fix it for you (or replace the camera).

As I said, I haven't been able to reproduce the mirror image display and I've tried, even many times today. So I have no incentive to waste time and money sending the camera back to Nikon, and I doubt that they'd be able to detect a problem. So they'd return the P7700 to me as good as they received it (hopefully). You know the famous old phrase? If it ain't broke any more, don't fix it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tomjar
Regular MemberPosts: 468
Like?
Re: P7700's screen upside down?
In reply to photoreddi, Mar 15, 2013

photoreddi wrote:

tomjar wrote:

That's really weird. I tried to reproduce it on my camera - it does not happen no matter what I do. I hope Nikon will fix it for you (or replace the camera).

As I said, I haven't been able to reproduce the mirror image display and I've tried, even many times today. So I have no incentive to waste time and money sending the camera back to Nikon, and I doubt that they'd be able to detect a problem. So they'd return the P7700 to me as good as they received it (hopefully). You know the famous old phrase? If it ain't broke any more, don't fix it.

I understand. I was actually replying to the OP. He seems to be having a permanent problem.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
eyalg
Regular MemberPosts: 257
Like?
Re: P7700's screen upside down?
In reply to tomjar, Mar 15, 2013

Thanks,

Yes - it's permanent as long as I turn it on that way,
I can easily work around this issue but it's still annoying,
and even more so as I'm a software engineer and I can
understand how simple this issue is to catch by QA.

I have no personal worries, though, since I got this
camera on a loan in order to review it. Didn't buy it myself.

-eyalg

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,316
Like?
Re: P7700's screen upside down?
In reply to tomjar, Mar 15, 2013

tomjar wrote:

photoreddi wrote:

tomjar wrote:

That's really weird. I tried to reproduce it on my camera - it does not happen no matter what I do. I hope Nikon will fix it for you (or replace the camera).

As I said, I haven't been able to reproduce the mirror image display and I've tried, even many times today. So I have no incentive to waste time and money sending the camera back to Nikon, and I doubt that they'd be able to detect a problem. So they'd return the P7700 to me as good as they received it (hopefully). You know the famous old phrase? If it ain't broke any more, don't fix it.

I understand. I was actually replying to the OP. He seems to be having a permanent problem.

Right you are. I see what made me think that your reply was to me. The title of my reply started with "P7700's Screen..." and yours started with "Re: P7700's Screen...". Glancing too quickly (not taking into account the leading "Re: ") made it appear that it was indented one level, the way a reply to my post would have been. Oops. I don't think that the OP has a permanent problem though. If he takes more time before pressing the power button, I think that the display will behave normally. Maybe.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads