my great lens Tamron AD SP 24 - 135 macro [made in Japan]

Started Mar 15, 2013 | Discussions
Berghof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144
Like?
my great lens Tamron AD SP 24 - 135 macro [made in Japan]
Mar 15, 2013

Hello,

I may be getting the D600 and I was wondering if it would be possible to use this great Tamron

lens I've used so my on my film camera.It is not terrible old glass and I wonder whether all the functions of this IF would be preserved on the new D600. Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Berghof G.C.

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Fred Mueller
Senior MemberPosts: 2,348Gear list
Like?
yes it should work ...
In reply to Berghof, Mar 15, 2013

The D600 has the in-body focus motor that this Tamron requires. One of the best things about going to Nikon full frame is how far back in the lens catalog you can wander,  mount, and usefully use  older lenses.. If you are coming from film, you will be surprised at how good the files look coming out of the newer cameras.

Here is a fair warning; someone here might try to tell you your old Tamron isn't very sharp, which may or may not be true (comparatively) with new lenses - but I would bet my bottom dollar it will be sharp enough to produce splendid photographs - and of course that fact gives you an economical path into full frame digital photography - if one can consider buying a $2000 camera "economical".

Hope it works out for you

Fred Mueller's gear list:Fred Mueller's gear list
Nikon D600
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fred Mueller
Senior MemberPosts: 2,348Gear list
Like?
Re: yes it should work ...
In reply to Fred Mueller, Mar 15, 2013

actually I thought this was an older lens - I can see in a reference that this has an in lens motor ... I think if it is functionimg well it will be fine on a 600 ... maybe you should visit a shop and try it on a demo body ... good luck

Fred Mueller's gear list:Fred Mueller's gear list
Nikon D600
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,283
Like?
Re: my great lens Tamron AD SP 24 - 135 macro [made in Japan]
In reply to Berghof, Mar 15, 2013

Berghof wrote:

Hello,

I may be getting the D600 and I was wondering if it would be possible to use this great Tamron

lens I've used so my on my film camera.It is not terrible old glass and I wonder whether all the functions of this IF would be preserved on the new D600. Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Berghof G.C.

Because Nikon does not give lens/body interface information to aftermarket lens companies they must reverse engineer their lenses to work with Nikon.  It is very common for these lenses to have problems with newer bodies which have slightly different interfaces.  Sometimes the aftermarket lens companies will offer firmware replacements (that have to be done by sending the lens back.)  The best way to establish whether your old lens will work is to try it on a D600 body.  If it doesn't, contact Tamron and see if they can update it.

Berghof
Like?
In reply to Daniel Lauring, Mar 16, 2013

thank you guys  for your great advice

-- hide signature --

Berghof G.C.

Berghof
Like?
thanks Fred , I'll give it a try
In reply to Fred Mueller, Mar 16, 2013
-- hide signature --

Berghof G.C.

Berghof
Like?
thanks Daniel, yes you have a good point
In reply to Daniel Lauring, Mar 16, 2013
-- hide signature --

Berghof G.C.

ohcello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,539Gear list
Like?
It works VERY well on my d600
In reply to Berghof, Mar 17, 2013

I've owned 2 copies of this lens and on the d600 it does very well... The af is slowish and you need good light or a good flash ... But I have tested it extensively against the 24-120mm f/4 and it holds it own ... Even outperforming it with stopiped down landscape shots .... I'm seriously tempted to ditch the 24-120 since the tamron does this well and only cost me $90 on eBay

here is a link to my test

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/51039151

ohcello's gear list:ohcello's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D
moony16
Regular MemberPosts: 419
Like?
In reply to Berghof, Mar 17, 2013

Berghof wrote:

Hello,

-- hide signature --

Berghof G.C.

My first copy of the 24-135 was on a Pnetax crop body, where the range was excellent, along with IQ--got a great Amazon deal, brand new, for < $200.  I was very happy with it, more so than I was with the Tamron 17-50 or the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lenses--all things considered.

My 2nd copy of the lens I got from KEH.com. for the D700.  This was an excellent copy, sharp right to the edges--impressive, especially when you consider it was Ex condition, for $125.  The lens made music with my D700.

One day I got silly, sold the lens to a fellow Nikonian who now shoots it on his D800.  He gets beautiful pics with the comnbination.  I regretted selling the lens, so picked up another one on Ebay, but this one had poor borders on Fx, so I used it mostly on my D300, until I picked up a copy of the 24-85vr, which is an amazing lens IMO.  I then sold this not so good copy of the 24-135mm.

So, yes, it sure will work.  If you can, especially since the D600 is demanding on glass, try and be sure you get a high quality version of the 24-135.  It provides a splendid compromise of range and quality.  Best of luck.

JT

-- hide signature --

Who looks outside,
dreams; who looks
inside, awakens
Carl Jung (1875-1961)

ohcello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,539Gear list
Like?
In reply to moony16, Mar 17, 2013

Berghof wrote:

Hello,

-- hide signature --

Berghof G.C.

My first copy of the 24-135 was on a Pnetax crop body, where the range was excellent, along with IQ--got a great Amazon deal, brand new, for < $200.  I was very happy with it, more so than I was with the Tamron 17-50 or the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lenses--all things considered.

My 2nd copy of the lens I got from KEH.com. for the D700.  This was an excellent copy, sharp right to the edges--impressive, especially when you consider it was Ex condition, for $125.  The lens made music with my D700.

One day I got silly, sold the lens to a fellow Nikonian who now shoots it on his D800.  He gets beautiful pics with the comnbination.  I regretted selling the lens, so picked up another one on Ebay, but this one had poor borders on Fx, so I used it mostly on my D300, until I picked up a copy of the 24-85vr, which is an amazing lens IMO.  I then sold this not so good copy of the 24-135mm.

So, yes, it sure will work.  If you can, especially since the D600 is demanding on glass, try and be sure you get a high quality version of the 24-135.  It provides a splendid compromise of range and quality.  Best of luck.

JT

-- hide signature --

Who looks outside,
dreams; who looks
inside, awakens
Carl Jung (1875-1961)

Agreed as the good copies of this lens are very sharp all the way to the fx borders starting at 5.6 or so.... Wide open and f/4 at 24mm the borders has a tiny bit of white haloing but nothing excessive

ohcello's gear list:ohcello's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads