Video quality of X100s?

Started Mar 14, 2013 | Discussions
mibu2011
Contributing MemberPosts: 553
Like?
Video quality of X100s?
Mar 14, 2013

I know that not many have the X100s yet and I've now been on pre-order for 2 months.

For the lucky ones that do have it, is there any possible way you could make a 15-30 second Video clip in good lighting available in its native format straight out of the camera? I'm not concerned about auto focus or IS (or lack of it!) at this stage but just what the original HD file looks like when 1. viewed directly on a 50" screen via a media player and 2. When the file is rendered through Final Cut Pro.

Thanks

Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
alsjry
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Re: Video quality of X100s?
In reply to mibu2011, Mar 14, 2013

mibu2011 wrote:

I know that not many have the X100s yet and I've now been on pre-order for 2 months.

For the lucky ones that do have it, is there any possible way you could make a 15-30 second Video clip in good lighting available in its native format straight out of the camera? I'm not concerned about auto focus or IS (or lack of it!) at this stage but just what the original HD file looks like when 1. viewed directly on a 50" screen via a media player and 2. When the file is rendered through Final Cut Pro.

Thanks

Fortunately, the Photographyblog review is out with an original format video file from X100s to download. Here is the link: http://img.photographyblog.com/reviews/fujifilm_x100s/sample_images/fujifilm_x100s_01.mov

It seems to me that the 36mbps bit rate and 1080/60p format is really awesome!

Hopefully, the X20 video quality will be as nice as this.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mibu2011
Like?
In reply to alsjry, Mar 14, 2013

alsjry wrote:

mibu2011 wrote:

Thanks

Fortunately, the Photographyblog review is out with an original format video file from X100s to download. Here is the link: http://img.photographyblog.com/reviews/fujifilm_x100s/sample_images/fujifilm_x100s_01.mov

It seems to me that the 36mbps bit rate and 1080/60p format is really awesome!

Hopefully, the X20 video quality will be as nice as this.

Great thanks! A 60 or 50 FPS while would be great too as this one is at 30 FPS

mike kobal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,598Gear list
Like?

good bidrate, good frame rate, no manual controls

-- hide signature --

mike kobal
photography (hand's on gear reviews on my blog)
www.mikekobal.com/blog

mibu2011
Like?
In reply to mike kobal, Mar 14, 2013

mike kobal wrote:

-- hide signature --

mike kobal
www.mikekobal.com/blog

I'm not really worried about manual controls.  I'm more concerned about the image quality.  If the IQ is there I'll work around everything else.  If the IQ looks poor then it's a non starter anyway.

hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,198
Like?

mibu2011 wrote:

mike kobal wrote:

-- hide signature --

mike kobal
www.mikekobal.com/blog

I'm not really worried about manual controls. I'm more concerned about the image quality. If the IQ is there I'll work around everything else. If the IQ looks poor then it's a non starter anyway.

How do you work around constantly changing exposure?

mibu2011
Like?
In reply to hellocrowley, Mar 14, 2013

hellocrowley wrote:

mibu2011 wrote:

mike kobal wrote:

-- hide signature --

mike kobal
www.mikekobal.com/blog

I'm not really worried about manual controls. I'm more concerned about the image quality. If the IQ is there I'll work around everything else. If the IQ looks poor then it's a non starter anyway.

Set the camera to Auto.

mibu2011
Like?
Video Quality - First Impressions

Based purely on the video file provided by Photographyblog I would say the video quality from the X100s is very poor.

I have played the native file on a 50" Plasma via a WD Media player and the IQ is not even close to my 5 year old Panasonic SD600 3MOS Camcorder.  The Panasonic has that really crisp lifelike HD look whereas this file looks like what you would expect to get from a cheap compact that has a video facility.  Almost a 2nd generation look in comparison and awful on pans.

Of course I know the X100s is a photographic tool first and foremost but if I am honest I ma disappointed at this.  With a large APS-C sensor (compared to the tiny sensors in camcorders) the upgraded FPS and bitrate, I really thought that putting it's limitations to one side (manual features, image stabilisation, zoom etc) that the bare bones image quality would be at least as good as a 5 years old Panasonic camcorder.

I will of course try this out again once I get my own X100s in my hands but if it is no different then the Video aspect of the X100s gets a big thumbs down from me.

hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,198
Like?

mibu2011 wrote:

hellocrowley wrote:

mibu2011 wrote:

mike kobal wrote:

-- hide signature --

mike kobal
www.mikekobal.com/blog

Set the camera to Auto.

The camera's exposure setting is *always* Auto. Think iPhone video. My question is how do you keep a constant exposure, but if you're not interested in videography you might not care.

mibu2011
Like?
In reply to hellocrowley, Mar 14, 2013

hellocrowley wrote:

mibu2011 wrote:

hellocrowley wrote:

mibu2011 wrote:

mike kobal wrote:

-- hide signature --

mike kobal
www.mikekobal.com/blog

Set the camera to Auto.

The camera's exposure setting is *always* Auto. Think iPhone video. My question is how do you keep a constant exposure, but if you're not interested in videography you might not care.

Ah I see, to be honest I'm really not into the technicalities of video like I am with photography.  With Video I'm very much a point and shoot man and I just like the vibrant clarity of HD video.  My videos are pretty much just holiday Videos of the family.  Where I get quite involved is with the editing and the rendering as I tend to take my bog standard holiday videos and make nice productions of them when editing.  As you'll see in my post below, based on the provided clip by photographyblog I'm really not impressed with the raw HD file straight out the camera.  As much as I would like an all in one camera/video device it look like if I want the clarity and quality that i want, a dedicated camera and a dedicated camcorder is the way I'm going to have to continue.

Oger
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
Re: Video Quality - First Impressions
In reply to mibu2011, Mar 16, 2013

I wonder how the low light situations are being recorded.

I remember in those situations with the x100 the Aperture had to be set to A.

Was even brighter that way than f 2.0 for some reason.

Can anyone share some insight on this?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads